Tribute albums are usually mawkish, well-meaning bores. Not Rave On Buddy Holly: Nineteen acts interpret proto-rocker Holly’s canon with vigorous invention. Lou Reed turns ”Peggy Sue” into a predatory pursuit; Florence + the Machine crash and clang, making the title of ”Not Fade Away” literal; Paul McCartney howls ”It’s So Easy” like an amped-up bluesman. And Holly’s beautiful songs retain their gleam in gentler versions from She & Him, Cee Lo Green, and the Black Keys. A-
MY BUDDY Nineteen modern bands re-envision Holly's classics (Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images)
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Various Artists; Music Label: Fantasy
Posted June 22 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Jessica Simpson and Tracee Ellis Ross' glamorous 'sister' photo
- Kanye West to perform '808s & Heartbreak' in full at Hollywood Bowl
- 5 shows to watch now that 'Hannibal' is over
- Taylor Swift and Avril Lavigne performed 'Complicated' on 1989 tour
- 'Survivor' players on the most shameless thing they did for fan votes
- Hugh Dancy explains that shocking 'Hannibal' series finale
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!