It’s been a while since John Carpenter directed a movie. (The last one was 2001’s Ghosts of Mars.) While he does bring his trademark craftsmanship to this snake-pit mental-asylum thriller, the picture has too many old-movie bits rattling around in it. It’s set in the ’60s and stars Amber Heard (looking out of period) as a fire starter who lands in a ward with half a dozen other demented teenage girls. Basically, this is a ghost story merged with a slasher film and sealed with a Shutter Island twist. But at least Carpenter the spook-meister knows how to goose you. B?
DEMENTED TEENAGERS Amber Heard (holding the knife), Laura-Leigh in The Ward
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Horror; Starring: Jared Harris, Amber Heard; Release Date Limited: 07/08/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Arc Entertainment
Posted June 27 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- First Listen: Ellen Pompeo on Meredith's shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' attack
- Al Pacino and Melanie Griffith join Where the White Man Runs Away
- Lamar Odom makes first public appearance since hospitalization
- Luke's daughter, April, and Mrs. Kim are back for 'Gilmore Girls'
- Kevin Bacon has a creepy kid in the trailer for horror movie 'The Darkness'
- Russell Simmons, Tony Rock to present All Def Movie Awards
- Everything you missed from Kanye West's 'TLOP' premiere
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996