It’s been a while since John Carpenter directed a movie. (The last one was 2001’s Ghosts of Mars.) While he does bring his trademark craftsmanship to this snake-pit mental-asylum thriller, the picture has too many old-movie bits rattling around in it. It’s set in the ’60s and stars Amber Heard (looking out of period) as a fire starter who lands in a ward with half a dozen other demented teenage girls. Basically, this is a ghost story merged with a slasher film and sealed with a Shutter Island twist. But at least Carpenter the spook-meister knows how to goose you. B?
DEMENTED TEENAGERS Amber Heard (holding the knife), Laura-Leigh in The Ward
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Horror; Starring: Jared Harris, Amber Heard; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Arc Entertainment
Posted June 27 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: Jason Isaacs to play villain in Gore Verbinski's horror flick 'A Cure for Wellness'
- 'Stitchers' react: Ambitious premise loses its thread
- Jay Rock shares introspective 'Money Trees Deuce'
- 'Entourage' becomes next victim of 'Honest Trailers' treatment
- 'Paper Towns' trailer sets up the mystery of Margo
- Twisted Sister documentary acquired by Music Box Films
- Gillian Anderson-led 'Streetcar Named Desire' coming to New York