By the time summer is over, Cory Monteith, who plays nice-guy jock Finn Hudson on Glee, will have wrapped his second concert tour for the Fox series and appeared in two films, Monte Carlo (out July 1) and Glee the 3D Concert Movie (out Aug. 12). In Monte Carlo — a teen comedy starring Selena Gomez, Leighton Meester, and Katie Cassidy — the 29-year-old Monteith plays Cassidy’s boyfriend, Owen, and is one of the few males in the flick. ”Just how I like it,” he says with a laugh. ”Owen is someone I think the Glee audience could relate to.” The actor shot the movie in Europe shortly after he and his fellow Gleeks wrapped their initial concert tour last summer. ”I gotta say, I took almost every opportunity I had to disappear and travel,” he says. ”I saw 10 countries in a month.” Monteith says his ultimate goal is ”to make the transition from television to film,” and to that end he’s currently developing a ”workplace-caper comedy,” which he plans to star in and produce for 20th Century Fox. The actor is also hoping to squeeze in a starring role in the indie thriller Somebody Else before he returns to the Glee set in August to begin shooting the third season. This could be Monteith’s final year on the Fox hit, as co-creator Ryan Murphy has made it clear he wants to graduate many of the show’s characters by the end of the season. But Monteith doesn’t seem too worried about his future. Says the actor, ”I’m thrilled with how the show’s done and with the opportunities it’s provided me, but at the same time I’m excited about doing other things.”
Posted July 1 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Macklemore performs new song about oppression and the election
- Taraji P. Henson competes in 'acting decathlon' for Seth Meyers
- 'TWD': Josh McDermitt says the midseason finale ends 'with a bang'
- Cobie Smulders making Broadway debut with Kevin Kline in 'Present Laughter'
- 'Moana' hidden cameos include 'Little Mermaid,' 'Wreck-It Ralph'
- Watch the first trailer for 'War for the Planet of the Apes'
- Watch the 'Westworld' cast's epic Dubsmash compilation