Has the future Mrs. Bieber been taking guidance from her prince-of-pop boyfriend? On her first two albums, this Disney star never shook the moonlighting-actor vibe; on When the Sun Goes Down, though, she sounds fully invested in tart electro-disco ditties like ”Bang Bang Bang,” which strongly recalls La Roux’s ”Bulletproof.” And the top-shelf collaborators don’t hurt — see: the grinding ”Whiplash,” co-penned by one Britney Spears. B+
SCENE QUEEN Gomez seems to be taking tips from her famous boyfriend Justin Bieber on this tart pop album
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Selena Gomez; Music Label: Hollywood
Posted July 10 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt
- Comedian Matt Braunger on pilot season, his new album 'Big Dumb Animal,' and the science of titles
- 'Agents of SHIELD' eyes Skye's arc: 'Birth of a superhero'