Among the many advantages Transformers: Dark of the Moon has going for it is that two Transformers movies have preceded this newest, longest, and 3-Deeziest of extravaganzas about computerized alien robots and the men who shoot and shout at them. By now, not only do we know our good-guy Autobots from our bad-guy Decepticons, but we also have parameters for the best and the worst we can expect from Michael Bay, Hollywood’s reigning auteur of destruction and babe ogling. (In the interchangeable role of sex doll, Victoria’s Secret model Rosie Huntington-Whiteley assumes the spot vacated by Megan Fox.) Dark of the Moon is hardly a fleet production, but here Bay makes his best, most flexible use yet of all the flamboyant bigness at his command: Computer-drawn characters and human actors seem to occupy the same narrative for once. This gee-whizzy boys-will-be-boys fantasy opens with the moon landing of 1969 and a secret mission for astronaut Buzz Aldrin — a cool sequence! — and ends, naturally, with a do-or-die battle. Bay fills in every available crevice in between with brassy diversions. Once again, Decepticons are up to no good, Earth is in danger, and Sam Witwicky (Shia LaBeouf, now in full mind meld with his character) is in the middle of the mayhem. Lucky for Sam, he’s got ‘bots watching his back while he gets to watch his girlfriend’s front. B
Genre: Action/Adventure, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Shia LaBeouf, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Tyrese Gibson; Director: Michael Bay; Author: Ehren Kruger; Release Date Wide: 06/29/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 154; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted July 11 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Al Pacino and Melanie Griffith join Where the White Man Runs Away
- Lamar Odom makes first public appearance since hospitalization
- Luke's daughter, April, and Mrs. Kim are back for 'Gilmore Girls'
- Kevin Bacon has a creepy kid in the trailer for horror movie 'The Darkness'
- Russell Simmons, Tony Rock to present All Def Movie Awards
- Everything you missed from Kanye West's 'TLOP' premiere
- 'Frozen' musical selects city for world premiere before Broadway
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996