The ’80s aren’t a time period, they’re a state of mind. That may be a big, screaming cliché — hey, the ’80s were full of them — but there’s something to it, because our perception of the decade has far more to do with signposts like mall hair and parachute pants than with anything that actually happened. The nostalgia-dripping Take Me Home Tonight (2011, R, 1 hr., 37 mins.) tries to tap into that hazily reconstructed, VH1-fueled version of the ’80s in which all jerks were named Chad, cocaine led only to hilarious high jinks, and boys and girls just wanted ? to have fun. But if you’re aching to revisit that world, why not go back to the source? Better Off Dead… (1985, PG, 1 hr., 37 mins.), now debuting on Blu-ray, is a wonderfully off-kilter iteration of the typical coming-of-age-and-getting-the-girl movie. Cusack plays Lane Meyer, a sarcastic high schooler who, if he never crashes through the fourth wall like Ferris Bueller would a year later, certainly leans up against it pretty hard with a winking mien and musings to no one in particular. Depressed after getting dumped by his girlfriend for an Aryan-jock ski captain, he eventually falls for the charms of the French exchange student across the street. Aside from this, the ”plot” mainly consists of a collection of casually surrealistic and instantly memorable recurring gags, like Howard Cosell-impersonating Japanese drag racers and an unrelenting paperboy out on a never-ending quest for his ”two dollars!” Genuinely funny, surprisingly cohesive, and more quotable than the Bible, Better Off Dead… is definitely a time capsule, but its appeal hasn’t gotten old. A?
EXTERNAL USE ONLY John Cusack in Better Off Dead... (Everett Collection)
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- 'Saturday Night Live' best host poll: Scarlett Johansson's big weekend turns up the heat on the competition
- James Taylor debuts Boston Red Sox song
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Let's talk latest shocking 'Game of Thrones' twist
- Kim Kardashian’s book of selfies is in good company
- Lauryn Hill apologizes to Nigerian fans with awesome acoustic performance
- Melissa Rivers says 'fighting' hurt 'Fashion Police'
- Lupita Nyong'o's 'Star Wars' character name revealed
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Halle Berry & Goldie Hawn, Plus Diddy, Melissa McCarthy & More!