Just as Wag the Dog softened the edges of novelist Larry Beinhart’s stinging political satire American Hero, so Salvation Boulevard deflects the barbs of Beinhart’s stinging religious satire of the same name. Behold: an atheist (Ed Harris), a fire-breathing Christian pastor (Pierce Brosnan, great in full brimstone mode), and a Grateful Dead devotee (Greg Kinnear), all mocked equally. But the comedic slaps are too limp to leave a mark. Director George Ratliff applied a much clearer eye to Hell House, his chilling 2001 documentary about a real church. (Available on demand July 27) C
WITHOUT GOD Isabelle Fuhrman and Jennifer Connelly in Salvation Boulevard (Mark Preston)
Genre: Comedy, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Pierce Brosnan, Greg Kinnear, Marisa Tomei; Director: George Ratliff; Author: George Ratliff; Release Date Limited: 07/15/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 94
Posted July 12 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- New 'X-Files' promo asks, 'Are we being lied to?'
- 'Real Housewives' star Yolanda Foster and music producer David Foster are divorcing
- Morrissey wins the award for the worst sex writing
- Helen Mirren in talks to join Will Smith in 'Collateral Beauty'
- Nicholas Brendon opens up about suicide attempt on 'Dr. Phil'
- What if Peter Griffin was the voice of Chewbacca?
- John 'Cha Cha' Ciarcia, actor on 'The Sopranos,' dies at 75