There’s a fine tradition of pop-music novels (here’s to you, Elaine Jesmer and Number One With a Bullet), and Stone Arabia joins the genre’s upper echelons with the transfixing story of rock musician Nik Worth, a fictional almost-pop star in the ’80s. He has withdrawn from public life but continues to make music, releasing handcrafted CDs only to those closest to him and writing fake, intricate reviews and self-interviews. Is he a genius madman, or a sane artist unsullied by 21st-century American idolatry? The tale is told by his sister, who is equal parts ambivalent enabler and ultimate fan. Spiotta, author of the must-read Eat the Document, has created another movingly fab narrative; it’s as though Nabokov had written a rock novel. A
Stone ArabiaThere's a fine tradition of pop-music novels (here's to you, Elaine Jesmer and Number One With a Bullet), and Stone Arabia joins...Stone ArabiaFictionDana SpiottaThere's a fine tradition of pop-music novels (here's to you, Elaine Jesmer and Number One With a Bullet), and Stone Arabia joins...2011-07-13Scribner
ROCK STEADY Musician protagonist Nik is Worth-y of Nabokov
Genre: Fiction; Author: Dana Spiotta; Publisher: Scribner
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!