There’s a fine tradition of pop-music novels (here’s to you, Elaine Jesmer and Number One With a Bullet), and Stone Arabia joins the genre’s upper echelons with the transfixing story of rock musician Nik Worth, a fictional almost-pop star in the ’80s. He has withdrawn from public life but continues to make music, releasing handcrafted CDs only to those closest to him and writing fake, intricate reviews and self-interviews. Is he a genius madman, or a sane artist unsullied by 21st-century American idolatry? The tale is told by his sister, who is equal parts ambivalent enabler and ultimate fan. Spiotta, author of the must-read Eat the Document, has created another movingly fab narrative; it’s as though Nabokov had written a rock novel. A
Stone ArabiaThere's a fine tradition of pop-music novels (here's to you, Elaine Jesmer and Number One With a Bullet), and Stone Arabia joins...Stone ArabiaFictionDana SpiottaThere's a fine tradition of pop-music novels (here's to you, Elaine Jesmer and Number One With a Bullet), and Stone Arabia joins...2011-07-13Scribner
ROCK STEADY Musician protagonist Nik is Worth-y of Nabokov
Genre: Fiction; Author: Dana Spiotta; Publisher: Scribner
Posted July 13 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!