The Malibu songbird’s sound — full of carefree acoustic strums and beach-ready romance — is built for blandness, so her greatest struggle has always been breaking through all that aggressive pleasantness. Luckily, her third album, All of You, proves there’s more to her than a smile and a hair toss. Caillat plays with rhythmic touches (the high-spirited handclaps on ”Brighter Than the Sun”) and adds a dollop of country heartbreak to both her voice and her lyrics. On the ruminative title track, for example, world-weary pathos practically drips off the line ”I’m ? no good at guessing.” Nothing here ? is a call to arms, but Caillat’s soft ? revolution is rousing nonetheless. B+
BEACHY KEEN The Malibu songstress's third album shows increasing depth (Robert Ascroft)
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Colbie Caillat; Music Label: Universal Republic
Posted July 14 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The X-Files': Mulder and Scully meet their doppelgängers in this exclusive clip
- Andrew Dice Clay talks 'Vinyl': 'Record company guys were out of their f---ing minds!'
- 'Dawson's Creek' revival not likely, says Katie Holmes
- 'The Force Awakens' characters to appear in new LEGO 'Star Wars' series
- See Aziz Ansari in a goofy retro sitcom parody of 'Master of None'
- The Week in J.K. Rowling: Still not a prequel, and more
- 'The Flash' trailer teases Zoom's identity