The Malibu songbird’s sound — full of carefree acoustic strums and beach-ready romance — is built for blandness, so her greatest struggle has always been breaking through all that aggressive pleasantness. Luckily, her third album, All of You, proves there’s more to her than a smile and a hair toss. Caillat plays with rhythmic touches (the high-spirited handclaps on ”Brighter Than the Sun”) and adds a dollop of country heartbreak to both her voice and her lyrics. On the ruminative title track, for example, world-weary pathos practically drips off the line ”I’m ? no good at guessing.” Nothing here ? is a call to arms, but Caillat’s soft ? revolution is rousing nonetheless. B+
BEACHY KEEN The Malibu songstress's third album shows increasing depth (Robert Ascroft)
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Colbie Caillat; Music Label: Universal Republic
Posted July 14 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Kanye West audition for 'American Idol' in final season teaser
- Jennifer Lawrence has a life-changing idea in new 'Joy' teaser
- Erykah Badu calls out Iggy Azalea at Soul Train Awards
- Joey Feek gives update on wife Rory's cancer diagnosis
- 'Quantico' postmortem: Who's gone from the Academy?
- 'Walking Dead' prologue scene sets up Negan, second half of season 6
- 'The Walking Dead': Did the midseason finale satisfy?