The Malibu songbird’s sound — full of carefree acoustic strums and beach-ready romance — is built for blandness, so her greatest struggle has always been breaking through all that aggressive pleasantness. Luckily, her third album, All of You, proves there’s more to her than a smile and a hair toss. Caillat plays with rhythmic touches (the high-spirited handclaps on ”Brighter Than the Sun”) and adds a dollop of country heartbreak to both her voice and her lyrics. On the ruminative title track, for example, world-weary pathos practically drips off the line ”I’m ? no good at guessing.” Nothing here ? is a call to arms, but Caillat’s soft ? revolution is rousing nonetheless. B+
BEACHY KEEN The Malibu songstress's third album shows increasing depth (Robert Ascroft)
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Colbie Caillat; Music Label: Universal Republic
Posted July 14 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kate Hudson gets patriotic, belts out the national anthem on Instagram
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' costar: TV Land wrong
- Keke Palmer: 'Scream Queens' will be just 'as brutal' as 'American Horror Story'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- Dave Grohl's game of throne in D.C.
- Kit Harington: Buzz about his long hair
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!