The Malibu songbird’s sound — full of carefree acoustic strums and beach-ready romance — is built for blandness, so her greatest struggle has always been breaking through all that aggressive pleasantness. Luckily, her third album, All of You, proves there’s more to her than a smile and a hair toss. Caillat plays with rhythmic touches (the high-spirited handclaps on ”Brighter Than the Sun”) and adds a dollop of country heartbreak to both her voice and her lyrics. On the ruminative title track, for example, world-weary pathos practically drips off the line ”I’m ? no good at guessing.” Nothing here ? is a call to arms, but Caillat’s soft ? revolution is rousing nonetheless. B+
BEACHY KEEN The Malibu songstress's third album shows increasing depth (Robert Ascroft)
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Colbie Caillat; Music Label: Universal Republic
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Daytime Emmys 2015 winners are...
- 'Game of Thrones': Kit Harington on Jon's brutal decision
- 'Game of Thrones' team explains their choices on Sansa's story
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': $200+M so far
- Jay Z on Tidal: 'not perfect,' 'determined'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' fans launch petition to bring McDreamy back
- Patrick Dempsey's EW Q&A on 'Grey's' exit: 'Shonda cares deeply about fans and how they will react'