The Brooklyn MC has been refining his lo-fi hip-pop on the mixtape circuit for years now. His debut full-length has a distinctly downtown vibe to it — as if made to soundtrack the lives of cool kids who pair fitted slacks and Air Jordans with felt-brim hats. London possesses a rich set of gifts: songs like the bass-bumping ”Love Is Real” showcase his penchant for poignant rhymes, goofball puns, and Kid Cudi-like melodic moans. Odd? Yes. But Timez Are Weird These Dayz feels like a welcome cool breeze in sweltering mid summer. B+
LO-FI, HIGH STYLE London's goofball style and bumping beats are a welcome break from a synth-heavy summer
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Lead Performer: Theophilus London; Status: In Season; Music Label: Reprise Records
Posted July 14 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- MTV renews 'Are You the One?,' 'The Challenge,' orders two new series
- 'Game of Thrones' new poster: Tyrion and the dragon
- Zachary Quinto: Nimoy 'like family to me'
- See Lena Dunham in the trailer for HBO's 'It's Me, Hilary: The Man Who Drew Eloise'
- 'How to Get Away With Murder,' more fresh TV spoilers
- Syfy to air five hours of Leonard Nimoy programming on Sunday
- 'New Girl' welcomes Jack McBrayer, Regis Philbin for season finale