Nearly 10 years after her inescapable debut single ”A Thousand Miles,” Carlton is still working the same delicate vocals and pretty piano riffs, as evidenced on this collection of ethereal, Starbucks-ready ballads. The 10 tracks from Rabbits on the Run fall into two categories: songs solidly within her patented brand of Enya-leaning pop (see: whimsical stunner ”Carousel,” the album’s lead single) and those that sound like modernized Gregorian chants (the celestial ”In the End”). The effect, however, is rarely divisive; instead it conjures up a lovely sort of melancholy magic. B+
PIANO WOMAN Ten years after her breakout hit, Carlton still has a magic touch in her ethereal songs
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Vanessa Carlton; Music Label: Razor & Tie
Posted July 20 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Mark Wahlberg's 'Patriots Day' to close AFI Fest
- Bill Murray shares adorable childhood photo proving his Chicago Cubs fandom
- 'Office Christmas Party' directors say film is 'life-affirming,' 'really f---ed up'
- 'La La Land': Emma Stone, Ryan Gosling dazzle in dreamy exclusive image
- David Beckham, Emma Stone, and Drake freak out in David Blaine promo
- 'Mean Girls' star on sequel: 'Can we do this already?!'
- 'Supergirl': Chris Wood on whether Mon-El is 'superhero material'