Nearly 10 years after her inescapable debut single ”A Thousand Miles,” Carlton is still working the same delicate vocals and pretty piano riffs, as evidenced on this collection of ethereal, Starbucks-ready ballads. The 10 tracks from Rabbits on the Run fall into two categories: songs solidly within her patented brand of Enya-leaning pop (see: whimsical stunner ”Carousel,” the album’s lead single) and those that sound like modernized Gregorian chants (the celestial ”In the End”). The effect, however, is rarely divisive; instead it conjures up a lovely sort of melancholy magic. B+
PIANO WOMAN Ten years after her breakout hit, Carlton still has a magic touch in her ethereal songs
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Vanessa Carlton; Music Label: Razor & Tie
Posted July 20 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!