Nearly 10 years after her inescapable debut single ”A Thousand Miles,” Carlton is still working the same delicate vocals and pretty piano riffs, as evidenced on this collection of ethereal, Starbucks-ready ballads. The 10 tracks from Rabbits on the Run fall into two categories: songs solidly within her patented brand of Enya-leaning pop (see: whimsical stunner ”Carousel,” the album’s lead single) and those that sound like modernized Gregorian chants (the celestial ”In the End”). The effect, however, is rarely divisive; instead it conjures up a lovely sort of melancholy magic. B+
PIANO WOMAN Ten years after her breakout hit, Carlton still has a magic touch in her ethereal songs
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Vanessa Carlton; Music Label: Razor & Tie
Posted July 20 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Game of Thrones returning to Spain for season 6
- James Gunn teases 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' script (but not the title)
- The title of Caitlyn Jenner's new reality show is...
- Watch Hozier play 'Someone New' and 'Work Song' on Kimmel
- Hayley Atwell threw out the first pitch at Tuesday's Kansas City Royals game
- Cameron Crowe apologizes for casting Emma Stone as an Asian-American in 'Aloha'
- Lifetime's 'A Deadly Adoption' with Will Ferrell, Kristen Wiig scheduled for June 20