It’s getting harder to make a Holocaust movie that doesn’t feel made up of bits and pieces of other Holocaust movies. Based on Tatiana de Rosnay’s best-seller, this moderately absorbing mystery/meditation tells the story of 10-year-old Sarah, who is detained in the 1942 Vel’ d’Hiv roundup — a mass arrest of Jews by French police. Kristin Scott Thomas is the present-day journalist who hunts for Sarah, their fates both linked to a piece of blood real estate in Paris. The Holocaust scenes are wrenching, the past-meets-present dialectics less so. B
WAR REPORTER Kristin Scott Thomas hunts for a girl who was rounded up in the Holocaust (Julien Bonet)
Starring: Niels Arestrup, Kristin Scott-Thomas; Director: Gilles Paquet-Brenner; Author: Gilles Paquet-Brenner; Release Date Limited: 07/22/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 111; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted July 20 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Carpool Karaoke: Lady Gaga sings 'Bad Romance' with James Corden
- President Obama reads mean tweets on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' (again)
- Carrie Underwood's debut album 'Some Hearts' sets country record
- All the stars Donald Trump slammed on Twitter during his run for president
- Matt LeBlanc on beginning 'Man With a Plan' and ending 'Episodes'
- Oscar frontrunners set to gather at EW PopFest
- Tom Hanks still remembers the rap from 'Big'