It’s the summer after 9/11, and suburbia sails calmly on. Laura (The Office’s Jenna Fischer) is a dental hygienist with a drinking not-quite-a-problem and an uneasy marriage. When her husband (Chris O’Donnell) dies suddenly of carnally induced heart trouble, she is forced to take the rudder of her adrift life, navigating her way through a malpractice suit, meddling relatives, and a little big lie her son tells his classmates. Fischer’s performance is sweet and subtle, but the film can be so understated in tone and plot that it’s hard to tell if it’s actually saying anything. B?
HARD TIMES Jenna Fischer in A Little Help
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Jenna Fischer, Chris O'Donnell; Director: Michael J. Weithorn; Author: Michael J. Weithorn; Release Date Limited: 07/22/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Freestyle Releasing
Posted July 21 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Erika Girardi defends 'RHOBH': 'It's not just a bunch of bitches'
- 'The Vacationers' author Emma Straub plans to open Brooklyn bookstore
- Critics' Choice Awards 2016: Who should win Best Actor?
- Two brothers play a deadly board game in 'Beyond the Gates' clip
- 'Office Christmas Party' stars on extras gone wild
- Conan O'Brien gets punished by a dominatrix in Berlin
- Taylor Kinney felt 'silly and bizarre' filming 'Chicago Fire' pilot
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2016: See Photos From the Catwalk
- Books Gift Guide 2016: 31 Books For Your Wish List
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans