It’s the summer after 9/11, and suburbia sails calmly on. Laura (The Office’s Jenna Fischer) is a dental hygienist with a drinking not-quite-a-problem and an uneasy marriage. When her husband (Chris O’Donnell) dies suddenly of carnally induced heart trouble, she is forced to take the rudder of her adrift life, navigating her way through a malpractice suit, meddling relatives, and a little big lie her son tells his classmates. Fischer’s performance is sweet and subtle, but the film can be so understated in tone and plot that it’s hard to tell if it’s actually saying anything. B?
HARD TIMES Jenna Fischer in A Little Help
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Jenna Fischer, Chris O'Donnell; Director: Michael J. Weithorn; Author: Michael J. Weithorn; Release Date Limited: 07/22/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Freestyle Releasing
Posted July 21 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Lady Gaga is getting her own 'Monster High' doll
- Melissa McCarthy hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Chiwetel Ejiofor says he'll never forgive Mark from 'Love Actually'
- Hear Disney princesses sing in their original languages
- Jesse Eisenberg says Lex Luthor in 'Batman v Superman' is a modern take
- Funko shares sneak peek at 'Suicide Squad' figures at Toy Fair 2016
- Jennifer Lawrence donates $2 million to Kentucky children's hospital