It’s the summer after 9/11, and suburbia sails calmly on. Laura (The Office’s Jenna Fischer) is a dental hygienist with a drinking not-quite-a-problem and an uneasy marriage. When her husband (Chris O’Donnell) dies suddenly of carnally induced heart trouble, she is forced to take the rudder of her adrift life, navigating her way through a malpractice suit, meddling relatives, and a little big lie her son tells his classmates. Fischer’s performance is sweet and subtle, but the film can be so understated in tone and plot that it’s hard to tell if it’s actually saying anything. B?
HARD TIMES Jenna Fischer in A Little Help
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Jenna Fischer, Chris O'Donnell; Director: Michael J. Weithorn; Author: Michael J. Weithorn; Release Date Limited: 07/22/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Freestyle Releasing
Posted July 21 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Supergirl': That big casualty 'weighs heavy' on Kara
- J.K. Simmons and Julie Delpy lead 'The Bachelors'
- Robert Schwentke drops out as director of final 'Divergent' film, 'Ascendant'
- Will Smith's 'Collateral Beauty' will go head-to-head with 'Rogue One'
- See 100 years of zombie evolution in time-lapse video
- Matt LeBlanc sitcom 'I'm Not Your Friend' gets pilot, series commitment at CBS
- 'The Magicians' postmortem: Does Julia regret nearly killing Quentin?