It’s the summer after 9/11, and suburbia sails calmly on. Laura (The Office’s Jenna Fischer) is a dental hygienist with a drinking not-quite-a-problem and an uneasy marriage. When her husband (Chris O’Donnell) dies suddenly of carnally induced heart trouble, she is forced to take the rudder of her adrift life, navigating her way through a malpractice suit, meddling relatives, and a little big lie her son tells his classmates. Fischer’s performance is sweet and subtle, but the film can be so understated in tone and plot that it’s hard to tell if it’s actually saying anything. B?
HARD TIMES Jenna Fischer in A Little Help
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Jenna Fischer, Chris O'Donnell; Director: Michael J. Weithorn; Author: Michael J. Weithorn; Release Date Limited: 07/22/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Freestyle Releasing
Posted July 21 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Robin Williams' widow pens essay about his brain disorder
- Former 'Power Rangers' star denies killing his roommate with a sword
- Watch Britney Spears sing Taylor Swift's 'Shake It Off' on helium
- 'Once Upon a Time': Is there hope for Belle and Rumple?
- Colin Trevorrow: 'Jurassic World 2' will be 'suspenseful and scary'
- NBC scraps 'Mail Order Family' comedy after backlash
- 'Stranger Things' is even stranger in 8-bit animated remake