It’s the summer after 9/11, and suburbia sails calmly on. Laura (The Office’s Jenna Fischer) is a dental hygienist with a drinking not-quite-a-problem and an uneasy marriage. When her husband (Chris O’Donnell) dies suddenly of carnally induced heart trouble, she is forced to take the rudder of her adrift life, navigating her way through a malpractice suit, meddling relatives, and a little big lie her son tells his classmates. Fischer’s performance is sweet and subtle, but the film can be so understated in tone and plot that it’s hard to tell if it’s actually saying anything. B?
HARD TIMES Jenna Fischer in A Little Help
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Jenna Fischer, Chris O'Donnell; Director: Michael J. Weithorn; Author: Michael J. Weithorn; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Freestyle Releasing
Posted July 21 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Vikings' shocker: Creator Michael Hirst talks the death of [spoiler]
- 'Vikings' kills again: A talk with the departing actor
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- Obama talks 'The Wire' with David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers Meron, Zadan moving on
- Craig T. Nelson back as Hayden Fox in NBC 'Coach' revival
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- Russell Crowe, Elisabeth Moss, Ben Affleck & More!