Charlotte Gainsbourg, with her sexy-sad knitted brow, is the right actress to play an Aussie mother of four whose husband dies of a heart attack. Shell-shocked and desperate to move on, Gainsbourg’s Dawn falls for a hunky plumber. The film, however, is more interested in the huge, ancient, gnarled tree of life that sits in the front yard. A symbol of the lost father, it looms, protects, and also wreaks havoc when a big branch collapses onto the house. Mostly, it’s the expression of a movie that’s content to stand still. C+
GRIEF STRICKEN Charlotte Gainsbourg in The Tree
Starring: Morgana Davies, Charlotte Gainsbourg; Starring: Marton Csokas; Runtime (in minutes): 100; Distributor: Zeitgeist Films
Posted July 21 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Penn & Teller reveal the craziest tricks from their upcoming Broadway show
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!