Charlotte Gainsbourg, with her sexy-sad knitted brow, is the right actress to play an Aussie mother of four whose husband dies of a heart attack. Shell-shocked and desperate to move on, Gainsbourg’s Dawn falls for a hunky plumber. The film, however, is more interested in the huge, ancient, gnarled tree of life that sits in the front yard. A symbol of the lost father, it looms, protects, and also wreaks havoc when a big branch collapses onto the house. Mostly, it’s the expression of a movie that’s content to stand still. C+
GRIEF STRICKEN Charlotte Gainsbourg in The Tree
Starring: Morgana Davies, Charlotte Gainsbourg; Starring: Marton Csokas; Release Date Limited: 07/15/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 100; Distributor: Zeitgeist Films
Posted July 21 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Walking Dead': Negan's brutal kill scene recreated with Legos
- JoJo honors Selena with 'Dreaming of You' cover in hometown
- 'Supernatural': Ackles, Padalecki discuss the effects of Mary's choice
- 'Pitch' EP explains the heartbreaking reveal behind the premiere twist
- Bryan Cranston performs dramatic reading of 'Shout Out to My Ex'
- Stephen Colbert scolds Run the Jewels for suggestive new Halloween song
- Amy Schumer on 'Formation' video backlash: 'It was never a parody'