Charlotte Gainsbourg, with her sexy-sad knitted brow, is the right actress to play an Aussie mother of four whose husband dies of a heart attack. Shell-shocked and desperate to move on, Gainsbourg’s Dawn falls for a hunky plumber. The film, however, is more interested in the huge, ancient, gnarled tree of life that sits in the front yard. A symbol of the lost father, it looms, protects, and also wreaks havoc when a big branch collapses onto the house. Mostly, it’s the expression of a movie that’s content to stand still. C+
GRIEF STRICKEN Charlotte Gainsbourg in The Tree
Starring: Morgana Davies, Charlotte Gainsbourg; Starring: Marton Csokas; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): In Season; Distributor: Zeitgeist Films
Posted July 21 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters