Charlotte Gainsbourg, with her sexy-sad knitted brow, is the right actress to play an Aussie mother of four whose husband dies of a heart attack. Shell-shocked and desperate to move on, Gainsbourg’s Dawn falls for a hunky plumber. The film, however, is more interested in the huge, ancient, gnarled tree of life that sits in the front yard. A symbol of the lost father, it looms, protects, and also wreaks havoc when a big branch collapses onto the house. Mostly, it’s the expression of a movie that’s content to stand still. C+
GRIEF STRICKEN Charlotte Gainsbourg in The Tree
Starring: Morgana Davies, Charlotte Gainsbourg; Starring: Marton Csokas; Release Date Limited: 07/15/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 100; Distributor: Zeitgeist Films
Posted July 21 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- What EW staffers are thankful for this year
- Big Apple Circus performer juggles at 'Hamilton' pre-show
- The year in Shondaland: A look back with Shonda Rhimes & her leading ladies
- Colbert tackles Thanksgiving controversies on 'The Late Show'
- New 'Star Wars' spot returns us to last year's teaser
- Uzo Aduba explains what it's like to perform alongside Taylor Swift
- Jimmy Fallon and Nathan Lane play 'Kid Dictionary'