Charlotte Gainsbourg, with her sexy-sad knitted brow, is the right actress to play an Aussie mother of four whose husband dies of a heart attack. Shell-shocked and desperate to move on, Gainsbourg’s Dawn falls for a hunky plumber. The film, however, is more interested in the huge, ancient, gnarled tree of life that sits in the front yard. A symbol of the lost father, it looms, protects, and also wreaks havoc when a big branch collapses onto the house. Mostly, it’s the expression of a movie that’s content to stand still. C+
GRIEF STRICKEN Charlotte Gainsbourg in The Tree
Starring: Morgana Davies, Charlotte Gainsbourg; Starring: Marton Csokas; Release Date Limited: 07/15/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 100; Distributor: Zeitgeist Films
Posted July 21 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Exclusive: 'The Punisher' spin-off ordered by Marvel
- 'Scandal' stars tease finale in special 'Folina' blog
- WATCH: Geena Davis on female equality since 'Thelma & Louise'
- Original 'Ghostbusters' is returning to theaters
- 'Empire' season finale preview: Who's getting married?
- The oral history of Destiny's Child's legacy-making 'Survivor'
- Beyoncé's 'Lemonade' had a big impact on Seth Meyers' female writers