The extraterrestrial invasion in this tightly paced British sci-fi comedy isn’t a national emergency, it’s a local one. A young nurse on her way home is menaced by a group of teenagers — slinging a machine-gun argot of luvs and bruvs — but they all soon discover something far more dangerous roaming the streets of South London. There could be a few more scares and laughs, but it’s a blast to be drawn into this urban ecosystem that is, to us Yanks, itself a bit alien. B+
LOOKING OUT Nick Frost as Ron in Attack the Block (Liam Daniel)
Genre: Action/Adventure, Comedy; Starring: John Boyega, Jodie Whittaker; Director: Joe Cornish; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Screen Gems Inc.
Posted July 28 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Terminator Genisys' reviews: What are the critics saying?
- Rihanna's 'Bitch Better Have My Money' video is bonkers--and totally NSFW
- 'Sesame Street's' Maria is departing after more than 40 years
- Casting Net: Michael Ian Black and Missi Pyle sign on for 'Slash'
- Blood Orange releases Charleston-influenced song 'Do You See My Skin Through The Flames?'
- Rihanna has done something no one else has ever done
- Chumbawamba launched Kickstarter for I Get Knocked Down documentary