A boy in a Lisbon orphanage wonders about his origins, and in response a river of stories flows from the mouths of noblemen, ladies, low-born scoundrels, priests, and sinners. This enveloping dream of an epic narrative experiment comes from the great Chilean-born, France-based filmmaker Raúl Ruiz (Time Regained). The work is based on a 19th-century Portuguese novel with plot material and character identity shifts that could handily fill six months of a juicy, modern-day TV soap opera; indeed, Mysteries of Lisbon is two hours longer in its original Portuguese TV-miniseries format. A
PERIOD PIECES Sofia Aparecio, Helena Coelho, Catarina Wallenstein, and Margarida Vilanova in Mysteries of Lisbon
Starring: Adriano Luz, Ricardo Pereira; Director: Raoul Ruiz; Author: Camilo Castelo Branco, Carlos Saboga; Release Date Limited: 08/05/2011; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 257; Distributor: Music Box Films
Posted August 2 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'Descendants' react: Did the Disney Channel tale about junior villains cast a spell?
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!