Though audiences still have to wait until next July 3 for The Amazing Spider-Man to hit theaters, Sony is clearly very bullish on its reboot of the web-slinging franchise – so much so that they’ve already greenlit a sequel and staked out a release date of May 2, 2014 for The Amazing Spider-Man 2. “It speaks volumes about our confidence in what we are seeing on the new film and our desire to move quickly on the next installment,” says a studio source. No further information is available on the sequel at this point, though it seems safe to assume that the new Spider-Man, Andrew Garfield, will be back wearing the suit again. But hey, it’s never too early for fanboys to start lobbying for their favorite villains, so have at it: Who would you like to see Spider-Man square off against in the franchise’s next chapter?
Posted August 5 2011 — 2:26 PM EDT
- Box office preview: 'Straight Outta Compton' set for third weekend at the top
- O.J. Simpson documentaries to air on A&E and LMN
- 'Grandfathered' enlists JoAnna Garcia Swisher
- Things look dark in trailer for Kristen Wiig's new movie 'Nasty Baby'
- Bill Murray earns his 20 percent in 'Rock the Kasbah' trailer
- Daniel Craig's go-to hangover cure is ...
- IFC postpones episode of 'Documentary Now!' in wake of WBDJ shooting
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Alison & Will, Julianne Hough, Rafael Nadal & More!