Sadly, the funk legend’s third record since 1976 with an ”I’m back!” sentiment in the title does not herald a return to form. Pals such as Ray Manzarek and Jeff Beck do their best to enliven new versions of Family Stone classics like ”Dance to the Music,” but mostly tread water. The covers aren’t terrible — it’s just that no sane person would prefer them to the originals. Still, there’s promise in three new funk workouts toward the end; they suggest it’s time for a whole new thing. C
HE GOT THE FUNK Even with help from The Doors' Ray Manzarek and Jeff Beck, Stone struggles to improve his classics (Jun Sato/WireImage.com)
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Sly Stone; Music Label: Cleopatra
Posted August 10 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt