Sadly, the funk legend’s third record since 1976 with an ”I’m back!” sentiment in the title does not herald a return to form. Pals such as Ray Manzarek and Jeff Beck do their best to enliven new versions of Family Stone classics like ”Dance to the Music,” but mostly tread water. The covers aren’t terrible — it’s just that no sane person would prefer them to the originals. Still, there’s promise in three new funk workouts toward the end; they suggest it’s time for a whole new thing. C
HE GOT THE FUNK Even with help from The Doors' Ray Manzarek and Jeff Beck, Stone struggles to improve his classics (Jun Sato/WireImage.com)
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Sly Stone; Music Label: Cleopatra
Posted August 10 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!