Sadly, the funk legend’s third record since 1976 with an ”I’m back!” sentiment in the title does not herald a return to form. Pals such as Ray Manzarek and Jeff Beck do their best to enliven new versions of Family Stone classics like ”Dance to the Music,” but mostly tread water. The covers aren’t terrible — it’s just that no sane person would prefer them to the originals. Still, there’s promise in three new funk workouts toward the end; they suggest it’s time for a whole new thing. C
HE GOT THE FUNK Even with help from The Doors' Ray Manzarek and Jeff Beck, Stone struggles to improve his classics (Jun Sato/WireImage.com)
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Sly Stone; Music Label: Cleopatra
Posted August 10 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Lin-Manuel Miranda live-tweeted commentary for 'Hamilton's America'
- J.K. Rowling loves Amy Schumer's book
- Chris Pratt encourages people to go outside and look for trolls
- Kanye West scored Kardashian family movies to 'Only One' for Kim's birthday
- 'Once Upon a Time' star says Robin Hood return provides closure
- Jason Sudeikis duets with Harry Connick Jr. as Harry Connick Jr.
- Chris Pine cast in Ava DuVernay's 'A Wrinkle in Time'