Sadly, the funk legend’s third record since 1976 with an ”I’m back!” sentiment in the title does not herald a return to form. Pals such as Ray Manzarek and Jeff Beck do their best to enliven new versions of Family Stone classics like ”Dance to the Music,” but mostly tread water. The covers aren’t terrible — it’s just that no sane person would prefer them to the originals. Still, there’s promise in three new funk workouts toward the end; they suggest it’s time for a whole new thing. C
HE GOT THE FUNK Even with help from The Doors' Ray Manzarek and Jeff Beck, Stone struggles to improve his classics (Jun Sato/WireImage.com)
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Sly Stone; Music Label: Cleopatra
Posted August 10 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Agent Carter' takes on Tinseltown in season 2 teaser
- Idris Elba 'nearly died' filming 'Beasts of No Nation'
- Zach Galligan wants to return for 'Gremlins 3'
- Hear Erykah Badu and Andre 3000 team up for 'Hello'
- 'Gods of Egypt' director: 'Our casting choices should have been more diverse'
- Patti LaBelle spends Thanksgiving with pie fan James Wright
- Hear Sia's new single 'One Million Bullets'