Sadly, the funk legend’s third record since 1976 with an ”I’m back!” sentiment in the title does not herald a return to form. Pals such as Ray Manzarek and Jeff Beck do their best to enliven new versions of Family Stone classics like ”Dance to the Music,” but mostly tread water. The covers aren’t terrible — it’s just that no sane person would prefer them to the originals. Still, there’s promise in three new funk workouts toward the end; they suggest it’s time for a whole new thing. C
HE GOT THE FUNK Even with help from The Doors' Ray Manzarek and Jeff Beck, Stone struggles to improve his classics (Jun Sato/WireImage.com)
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Sly Stone; Music Label: Cleopatra
Posted August 10 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Courteney Cox sitcom 'Charity Case' lands pilot at Fox
- 'Frozen' holiday special to air on ABC in 2017
- Ben Stiller, Penélope Cruz strut on 'Zoolander 2' premiere's red-carpet runway
- Gwen Stefani shares track list for third solo album
- 'The Flash': 13 most shocking moments from Team Flash's trip to Earth-2
- Kanye West: ‘Bill Cosby innocent'
- Natalie Portman, Nicholas Hoult cast in 'The Death and Life of John F. Donovan'