Crazy Heart reminded us that the Oscar-winning actor could sing, so the surprise here isn’t Bridges’ worn-denim vocals, which producer T Bone Burnett surrounds with his trademark chamber-country atmospherics. Rather, it’s Bridges’ songwriting on appealingly idiosyncratic cuts like the philosophical ”Tumbling Vine” and ”Falling Short,” on which he wonders if God put him here to ”bushwhack a path.” Spoken like the Dude himself. B+
COUNTRY DUDE Bridges' gravelly vocals and stand-out songwriting make his self-titled a surprise treat (Kevin Winter/WireImage.com)
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Jeff Bridges; Music Label: Blue Note
Posted August 10 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Aziz Ansari explains upcoming book Modern Romance in 'nice huge Twitter rant'
- 'The Bachelor': Chris Soules and Whitney Bischoff call it quits
- Science nerds can apply for a 'Big Bang Theory' scholarship at UCLA
- Giorgio Moroder compacts his entire album into one music video
- NBC announces casting call for Dorothy in 'The Wiz Live!'
- Here's who Andy Serkis plays in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'
- 'Point Break' is hosting a Battle of the Bands for an 'extreme' soundtrack anthem