After reuniting with his old band Pavement and tapping Beck as a producer, the slacker king has traded paisley-print guitar freak-outs for faster, breezier pop songs. That means his funniest lyrics are no longer buried under noodly solos: ”I cannot even do one sit-up,” he sings on one track. ”Sit-ups are so bourgeoisie.” Still miss his psychedelic side? Listen to ”Senator,” a classic-rock tribute to ”smoking weed in our truck.” B+
'TRAFFIC' JAMS Malkmus offers up breezy pop and odes to psychedelic substances (Leah Nash)
Genre: Indie Rock; Music Label: Matador
Posted August 10 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Meek Mill hits back at Drake with diss track 'Wanna Know'
- 'Graceland' postmortem: Is Paige in over her head?
- 'Wet Hot' creators provide teases for 40 characters in the prequel
- Patricia Arquette to voice witch in 'Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.'
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!