Familiarity with the record-breaking accomplishments of Brazilian Formula One race-car champion Ayrton Senna, who first roared to global fame in 1984, isn’t necessary for falling under the thrall of Senna, this dazzling documentary. With exemplary use of archival footage, director Asif Kapadia expertly contrasts episodes of adrenaline-rush speed with moments of reflective slow motion to capture the addictive thrill and danger of the sport, as well as the personal values of the humble, spiritual sportsman. A?
Ayrton Senna at the GP di San Marino in Imola, Italy in 1994. (Norio Koike)
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Ayrton Senna; Director: Asif Kapadia; Release Date Limited: 08/12/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Producers Distribution Agency
Posted August 10 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'This Is Us' stars share adorable double-family photo from set
- Inside the art of 'Star Wars' artist Ralph McQuarrie
- 'Office Christmas Party' cast details the film’s merry mayhem
- '12 Deadly Days': A tree witch is loose in exclusive first look
- Critics' Choice Awards: Which show should win Best Comedy Series?
- When are the 2017 Golden Globe nominations?
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'TVD,' 'Supernatural,' 'OUAT' and more