Familiarity with the record-breaking accomplishments of Brazilian Formula One race-car champion Ayrton Senna, who first roared to global fame in 1984, isn’t necessary for falling under the thrall of Senna, this dazzling documentary. With exemplary use of archival footage, director Asif Kapadia expertly contrasts episodes of adrenaline-rush speed with moments of reflective slow motion to capture the addictive thrill and danger of the sport, as well as the personal values of the humble, spiritual sportsman. A?
Ayrton Senna at the GP di San Marino in Imola, Italy in 1994. (Norio Koike)
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Ayrton Senna; Director: Asif Kapadia; Release Date Limited: 08/12/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Producers Distribution Agency
Posted August 10 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: 'Fear the Walking Dead': Strand & Liza meet in deleted scene
- 'iZombie' boss on that 'Minor' dog abandonment scene
- 'Pretty Little Liars': Meet Alison's future husband, Elliott Rollins
- See Ewan McGregor, Seal, and Gary Oldman perform David Bowie songs at tribute concert
- Mick Jagger helped Bobby Cannavale play a troubled exec on 'Vinyl'
- 10 most outrageous quotes from Mickey Rourke's Alec Baldwin interview
- Conan O'Brien mimics Cam Newton in 'Post-Joke Press Conference'