Familiarity with the record-breaking accomplishments of Brazilian Formula One race-car champion Ayrton Senna, who first roared to global fame in 1984, isn’t necessary for falling under the thrall of Senna, this dazzling documentary. With exemplary use of archival footage, director Asif Kapadia expertly contrasts episodes of adrenaline-rush speed with moments of reflective slow motion to capture the addictive thrill and danger of the sport, as well as the personal values of the humble, spiritual sportsman. A?
Ayrton Senna at the GP di San Marino in Imola, Italy in 1994. (Norio Koike)
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Ayrton Senna; Director: Asif Kapadia; Release Date Limited: 08/12/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Producers Distribution Agency
Posted August 10 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Barb from 'Stranger Things' to join Archie reboot 'Riverdale'
- Jimmy Eat World share soaring new rock song, 'Sure and Certain'
- 'Arrow': Thea makes date plans in exclusive season 4 deleted scene
- 'Warcraft' director is 'equally proud and furious' about the film
- Apollonia makes surprise appearance at 'Purple Rain' screening
- Anne Hathaway to star in Jenny Mollen’s 'Live Fast Die Hot'
- Rick Perry's 'Dancing With the Stars' run to help veterans