Familiarity with the record-breaking accomplishments of Brazilian Formula One race-car champion Ayrton Senna, who first roared to global fame in 1984, isn’t necessary for falling under the thrall of Senna, this dazzling documentary. With exemplary use of archival footage, director Asif Kapadia expertly contrasts episodes of adrenaline-rush speed with moments of reflective slow motion to capture the addictive thrill and danger of the sport, as well as the personal values of the humble, spiritual sportsman. A?
Ayrton Senna at the GP di San Marino in Imola, Italy in 1994. (Norio Koike)
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Ayrton Senna; Director: Asif Kapadia; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Producers Distribution Agency
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Jon Stewart's final 'Daily Show' to air Aug. 6
- 'Full House' revival at Netflix officially on; 13 episodes to arrive in 2016
- 'Inside Amy Schumer' renewed
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race': Our audience with returning queen
- 'Bachelorette' first promo: This crazytown ain't big enough for the both of them
- 'Originals' boss breaks down latest shockers, previews a devastating finale
- 'Ant-Man' gets a tiny billboard campaign
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Katy Perry, Tim & Faith, Blake Lively and More!