Eleven years after making his directorial debut with the celebrated sibling drama You Can Count on Me, Kenneth Lonergan is finally set to unveil his long-awaited second movie. Fox Searchlight will release Margaret — the story of a 17-year-old New York City girl who feels guilty for causing a deadly traffic accident — in limited release on Sept. 30, six years after it was filmed. (How long ago was that? Anna Paquin, now 29, plays the teen.) Costar Mark Ruffalo, whose role in You Can Count on Me put him on the movie-star map, has called Margaret a ”love story to post-9/11 America.” And the stellar cast also includes Matt Damon, Matthew Broderick, and Kieran Culkin. So why the long delay? Lonergan initially handed in a film that ran more than three hours long, well in excess of the reported 150-minute running time necessary to secure his right to final cut. Lawsuits were exchanged in 2008 between Fox Searchlight and producer Gary Gilbert as the studio feared it was stuck with an unreleasable movie, and Gilbert was unable to get Lonergan to trim his opus. The company now says in a statement, ”Although the film has had a long journey from filming to completion, we are looking forward to getting this film out to audiences this fall.” But who won, and whose version of the movie will we see? Though Lonergan has remained silent about the legal wrangling, there might be a clue in the official running time: 149 minutes, with one minute to spare.
Posted August 12 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival: Dan Bucatinsky shares set photos
- How to tell the difference between 'Preacher' and 'The Preachers'
- Ted Cruz compares Donald Trump to 'Back to the Future' villain Biff
- Anne Frank's story to be told in new virtual reality film
- Met Gala 2016: All the details on Claire Danes’ Zac Posen dress
- WATCH: Exclusive clip from VICE documentary about 'Miami Connection'
- 'Bones' exclusive clip: Aubrey and Jessica's first kiss goes wrong
- Met Gala 2016: The Best and Most Outrageous Looks
- Flashback to the 1996 Premiere of 'The Craft'
- 14 TV Cliffhangers and How They Were Resolved
- Met Gala 2016: See All the Arrivals From Manus x Machina
- 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt': Before They Were Stars
- 'Wayward Pines' Season 2: Exclusive Photos of the New Main Cast