Before he blew moviegoers’ minds with 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, and The Shining, Stanley Kubrick cut his teeth on The Killing (1956, Not Rated, 1 hr., 25 mins.) — a down-and-dirty heist film now out on a dazzlingly crisp and spotless Criterion Blu-ray. Jumping back and forth in time the way Reservoir Dogs would decades later, this hard-boiled gem about a deliriously intricate racetrack robbery stars the wonderfully gruff Sterling Hayden and is plotted with the kind of Swiss-watch precision and attention to detail that would eventually get Kubrick labeled Hollywood’s most notorious perfectionist. If you’re looking for a reason to upgrade to Blu-ray, here you go. A
DARING CROOK Sterling Hayden in The Killing (Everett Collection)
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Sterling Hayden; Director: Stanley Kubrick; Author: Stanley Kubrick; Runtime (in minutes): 84; Distributor: United Artists (MGM)
Posted August 12 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Big Brother': James explains why he trashed the house during the veto competition
- Michelle Obama wished Beyoncé a happy birthday on Twitter
- Jason Biggs' son picked book perfect for his 'American Pie' past
- 'Big Brother': Meg on her biggest mistake and that drunken night with Clay
- Pink says she has no issue with Demi Lovato after critical VMAs comments
- See a peculiar teaser for 'Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children'
- Here's who's returning to 'Nashville' in season 4 ...
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!