Before he blew moviegoers’ minds with 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, and The Shining, Stanley Kubrick cut his teeth on The Killing (1956, Not Rated, 1 hr., 25 mins.) — a down-and-dirty heist film now out on a dazzlingly crisp and spotless Criterion Blu-ray. Jumping back and forth in time the way Reservoir Dogs would decades later, this hard-boiled gem about a deliriously intricate racetrack robbery stars the wonderfully gruff Sterling Hayden and is plotted with the kind of Swiss-watch precision and attention to detail that would eventually get Kubrick labeled Hollywood’s most notorious perfectionist. If you’re looking for a reason to upgrade to Blu-ray, here you go. A
DARING CROOK Sterling Hayden in The Killing (Everett Collection)
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Sterling Hayden; Director: Stanley Kubrick; Author: Stanley Kubrick; Seasons: 3, 4; Runtime (in minutes): 84; Distributor: United Artists (MGM)
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!