Before he blew moviegoers’ minds with 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, and The Shining, Stanley Kubrick cut his teeth on The Killing (1956, Not Rated, 1 hr., 25 mins.) — a down-and-dirty heist film now out on a dazzlingly crisp and spotless Criterion Blu-ray. Jumping back and forth in time the way Reservoir Dogs would decades later, this hard-boiled gem about a deliriously intricate racetrack robbery stars the wonderfully gruff Sterling Hayden and is plotted with the kind of Swiss-watch precision and attention to detail that would eventually get Kubrick labeled Hollywood’s most notorious perfectionist. If you’re looking for a reason to upgrade to Blu-ray, here you go. A
DARING CROOK Sterling Hayden in The Killing (Everett Collection)
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Sterling Hayden; Director: Stanley Kubrick; Author: Stanley Kubrick; Seasons: 3, 4; Runtime (in minutes): 84; Distributor: United Artists (MGM)
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- 'Agents of SHIELD': Inside the tie-in to 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'
- 'Person of Interest' season 4 finale react: A new world order
- 'Forever' exec producer on Henry's secret--safe or out?
- Casting Net: Ashton Kutcher, Josh Hartnett cast in James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Tom Brokaw vs. cancer: 'Dateline' special
- 'New Girl' react: A modest proposal
- 'New Girl' boss on that season finale shocker--and what's next
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!