Before he blew moviegoers’ minds with 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, and The Shining, Stanley Kubrick cut his teeth on The Killing (1956, Not Rated, 1 hr., 25 mins.) — a down-and-dirty heist film now out on a dazzlingly crisp and spotless Criterion Blu-ray. Jumping back and forth in time the way Reservoir Dogs would decades later, this hard-boiled gem about a deliriously intricate racetrack robbery stars the wonderfully gruff Sterling Hayden and is plotted with the kind of Swiss-watch precision and attention to detail that would eventually get Kubrick labeled Hollywood’s most notorious perfectionist. If you’re looking for a reason to upgrade to Blu-ray, here you go. A
DARING CROOK Sterling Hayden in The Killing (Everett Collection)
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Sterling Hayden; Director: Stanley Kubrick; Author: Stanley Kubrick; Seasons: 3, 4; Runtime (in minutes): 84; Distributor: United Artists (MGM)
Posted August 12 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!