Before he blew moviegoers’ minds with 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, and The Shining, Stanley Kubrick cut his teeth on The Killing (1956, Not Rated, 1 hr., 25 mins.) — a down-and-dirty heist film now out on a dazzlingly crisp and spotless Criterion Blu-ray. Jumping back and forth in time the way Reservoir Dogs would decades later, this hard-boiled gem about a deliriously intricate racetrack robbery stars the wonderfully gruff Sterling Hayden and is plotted with the kind of Swiss-watch precision and attention to detail that would eventually get Kubrick labeled Hollywood’s most notorious perfectionist. If you’re looking for a reason to upgrade to Blu-ray, here you go. A
DARING CROOK Sterling Hayden in The Killing (Everett Collection)
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Sterling Hayden; Director: Stanley Kubrick; Author: Stanley Kubrick; Status: On Hiatus; Seasons: 3, 4; Runtime (in minutes): 3, 4; Distributor: United Artists (MGM)
Posted August 12 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters