As a child of the ’80s I admit I was skeptical when I heard about the upcoming remake of the 1984 dance-tastic drama Footloose. But now that I’ve seen the new trailer for the film, I’m feeling a lot better about it. If the preview is any indication, it looks like director Craig Brewer (Hustle & Flow) brings a hip urgency to his version, starring newcomer Kenny Wormald and Dancing With the Stars standout Julianne Hough as the rug-cutting central couple. Meanwhile, Dennis Quaid brings his usual gravitas to his conservative-preacher role, one that in lesser hands could easily fall into caricature. And it helps that one of the film’s producers, Craig Zadan, also worked on the original. I admit that it’ll be a little tough for me to buy the 23-year-old Hough as a high-schooler, but the advance buzz on the movie (out Oct. 14) is so strong that I may just let it slide. Take a look at the new trailer—does it look almost like paradise to you?
Posted August 12 2011 — 6:53 PM EDT
- Some banned 'Pokémon Go' accounts will be reinstated
- Phil Collins, Leslie Odom Jr. sing 'Easy Lover' at U.S. Open
- Colton Haynes accepts HRC award: 'Equality is our birthright'
- 'Ice Road Truckers' star Darrell Ward dies in plane crash
- Florida Georgia Line talk working with Tim McGraw for 'powerful' new video
- 'A Monster Calls' release set for awards season
- Sturgill Simpson slams Academy of Country Music over Merle Haggard Award