The fourth installment of Robert Rodriguez’s franchise that keeps adding dimensions even as it loses charm would have been better titled Spy Kids: All the Time Puns in the World. I’m not sure how much the target audience of youngsters appreciates Spy Kids: All the Time in the World in 4D’s never-ending stream of ”I’m gonna clean your clock” and ”Don’t waste my time” wordplay, but the filmmaker is clearly hoping the answer is a whole lot. Beyond that, the film — featuring a whole new set of crime-fighting progeny who discover that their stepmother (Jessica Alba) lives a secret life of gadgetry and car chases — is mainly a collection of fart jokes, backgrounds green-screened into abstraction, and the same ”family first” lessons espoused by the first three films. The hokiest element of all, Rodriguez’s resurrection of the scratch-and-sniff companion card last used years ago in a slightly more ironic fashion by John Waters, could have been a fun addition if all the ostensible scents (bacon, blue cheese, dog flatulence) didn’t just smell like a blueberry Yankee Candle. C-
SPY KIDS: ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD IN 4D Something smells funny... but it's not the fourth installment in Robert Rodriguez's franchise. (Rico Torres)
Genre: Comedy, Action/Adventure; Starring: Jessica Alba, Joel McHale, Jeremy Piven; Director: Robert Rodriguez; Author: Robert Rodriguez; Release Date Wide: 08/19/2011; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Dimension Films
Posted August 21 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Selena Gomez is officially in 'Neighbors 2'
- Interracial family comedy in the works at NBC, from Parks and Recreation pair
- Emily Ratajkowski is over 'Blurred Lines': 'It's the bane of my existence'
- Janet Jackson shares powerful new single, 'Unbreakable'
- ESPN extends Curt Schilling's suspension through MLB season
- Benicio Del Toro hints again at 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' involvement
- 'Key & Peele' prove Neil deGrasse Tyson can use his brain to get out of anything
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!