The fourth installment of Robert Rodriguez’s franchise that keeps adding dimensions even as it loses charm would have been better titled Spy Kids: All the Time Puns in the World. I’m not sure how much the target audience of youngsters appreciates Spy Kids: All the Time in the World in 4D’s never-ending stream of ”I’m gonna clean your clock” and ”Don’t waste my time” wordplay, but the filmmaker is clearly hoping the answer is a whole lot. Beyond that, the film — featuring a whole new set of crime-fighting progeny who discover that their stepmother (Jessica Alba) lives a secret life of gadgetry and car chases — is mainly a collection of fart jokes, backgrounds green-screened into abstraction, and the same ”family first” lessons espoused by the first three films. The hokiest element of all, Rodriguez’s resurrection of the scratch-and-sniff companion card last used years ago in a slightly more ironic fashion by John Waters, could have been a fun addition if all the ostensible scents (bacon, blue cheese, dog flatulence) didn’t just smell like a blueberry Yankee Candle. C-
SPY KIDS: ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD IN 4D Something smells funny... but it's not the fourth installment in Robert Rodriguez's franchise. (Rico Torres)
Genre: Comedy, Action/Adventure; Starring: Jessica Alba, Joel McHale, Jeremy Piven; Director: Robert Rodriguez; Author: Robert Rodriguez; Release Date Wide: 08/19/2011; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Dimension Films
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Weezer fan club single 'Everybody Needs Salvation' is now available to... everybody
- Kelly Clarkson, Ed Sheeran, more join Billboard Music Awards lineup
- George Clooney fights to protect his futuristic house in 'Tomorrowland' trailer
- Hear Lisa Loeb's new song '3,2,1, Let Go' from the movie 'Helicopter Mom'
- Watch LL Cool J really try to play Pictionary with Jimmy Fallon, Rose Byrne and Big Sean
- Stream Blur's album 'The Magic Whip' on iTunes First Play
- Next 'Transformers' expected in 2017
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Hayden Panettiere, Olivia Munn, Salma Hayek & More!