Jeff Prosserman’s riveting doc takes a question that haunted the Bernie Madoff scandal — how did he fool everyone for so long? — and answers it with a decisive ”He didn’t.” Borrowing the first-person flavor of Errol Morris, Prosserman builds his film around Harry Markopolos, the independent investigator who took all of five minutes (in 1999!) to figure out that Madoff was a fraud. But Madoff had so much power on Wall Street that no one (in media or the SEC) wanted to follow up. B+
CHASING MADOFF Bernard Madoff, chairman of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities, on the trading floor in New York, on Dec. 30, 1999 (Ruby Washington)
Genre: Documentary; Release Date Limited: 08/26/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 91
Posted August 26 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'
- Ice-T and Coco welcome daughter Chanel Nicole
- John Stamos shares high school prom throwback photo
- Chris Miller shares an update on 'The Lego Movie' sequel