Jeff Prosserman’s riveting doc takes a question that haunted the Bernie Madoff scandal — how did he fool everyone for so long? — and answers it with a decisive ”He didn’t.” Borrowing the first-person flavor of Errol Morris, Prosserman builds his film around Harry Markopolos, the independent investigator who took all of five minutes (in 1999!) to figure out that Madoff was a fraud. But Madoff had so much power on Wall Street that no one (in media or the SEC) wanted to follow up. B+
CHASING MADOFF Bernard Madoff, chairman of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities, on the trading floor in New York, on Dec. 30, 1999 (Ruby Washington)
Genre: Documentary; Release Date Limited: 08/26/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 91
Posted August 26 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!