Movies | Inside Movies

Sylvester Stallone talks about who's on board for 'Expendables 2' -- EXCLUSIVE

Expendables

(Karen Ballard)

When The Expendables hit theaters last summer, it seemed like virtually every action star of a certain age dropped by to flex their biceps and kick some keister. But apparently writer-director-star Sylvester Stallone still thinks there’s room for more macho men in the upcoming sequel. In a recent interview with EW, Stallone said that not only would Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger have meatier parts the second go-round, but that he’s also added Chuck Norris and Jean-Claude Van Damme to the mix and, fingers crossed, we may even see Nicolas Cage and John Travolta getting in on the mayhem, too. 

Prior to the first Expendables, we reported that Stallone had been rebuffed by Van Damme when he offered him a part in the all-star cast, which included Jason Statham, Mickey Rourke, Dolph Lundgren, and a who’s who of other hulking he-men. But now the Muscles From Brussels is saddling up. “We’ll have a big showdown between me and Van Damme, which has been anticipated for a long time, so it should be a good one,” says Stallone, who heads to Bulgaria at the end of this month to start shooting. The movie is aiming for an Aug. 2012 release.

This time out, Stallone is only working in front of the camera. Directing duties will be handled by Con Air’s Simon West. Which, come to think of it, may have had something do with luring another new Expendable: Nic Cage. “We’ve got Chuck Norris and I think Nic Cage,” says Stallone. “We’re trying to work out different scenarios. I like using people that had a moment and then maybe have fallen on some hard times and give them another shot. So we’re always looking for actors like Michael Biehn and Michael Pare. I like those kinds of guys. Someone did it for me and I like to see if I can do it for them. We also need some new blood in there, a Navy Seal-type, because with the Expendables none of them have 20-20 vision anymore. They need some help, man.”

As for reports that Travolta may also join the expandable Expendables cast, Stallone says, “It’s possible. The one thing I’ve learned is what is a fact on Monday is a complete fallacy on Tuesday. A lot of it is scheduling. It’s not financial. It’s just that Bulgaria is definitely a jaunt. It’s a commitment, you know what I mean? Especially in the dead of winter.”

Read more:
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bruce Willis beef up ‘Expendables 2’ roles
‘The Expendables’: Most Badass Characters in Cast’s Past?
Arnold Schwarzenegger vs. Sylvester Stallone: The great ’80s action movie star debate

Originally posted September 13 2011 — 5:00 PM EDT

More from Our Partners