There are two ways for pop stars to make a Survivor Album: either power-sing through your problems like Christina Aguilera, or make like Rihanna and dance till you forget what you’re supposed to be getting over. On her first release since checking out of rehab, Demi Lovato wants to have it both ways. She’s front-loaded Unbroken with leave-no-synth-effect-behind R&B (”You’re My Only Shorty,” featuring Iyaz), shy love-in-this-club tracks (”Who’s That Boy”), and Timbaland bangers (”All Night Long,” with Missy Elliott). So it’s a little unnerving when she gets to the album’s second half — the part where, as she told Ryan Seacrest, ”I’m singing about some issues that I’ve never even spoken about before.” Having struggled with cutting since she was a preteen, Lovato admits, ”I ended up with wounds to bind…and I just ran out of Band-Aids” on the hugely affecting ballad ”Fix a Heart.” The piano confessional ”For the Love of a Daughter” finds her picturing herself at age 4, begging her dad to ”put the bottle down” and keep his ”selfish hands” to himself. And then there’s ”Skyscraper,” an anthem so honest you can hear her voice breaking. Clearly it’s been a tough year for Lovato. But as Rihanna could tell her, sometimes bad years make great songs. B+
COMEBACK KID Lovato exorcises her demons in this confessional album about her personal and professional struggles
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Demi Lovato; Music Label: Hollywood Records
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- 'Person of Interest' season 4 finale react: A new world order
- 'Forever' exec producer on Henry's secret--safe or out?
- Casting Net: Ashton Kutcher, Josh Hartnett cast in James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Tom Brokaw vs. cancer: 'Dateline' special
- 'New Girl' react: A modest proposal
- 'New Girl' boss on that season finale shocker--and what's next
- 'Law & Order: SVU' welcomes back familiar faces; get the scoop, watch a sneak peek
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!