There are two ways for pop stars to make a Survivor Album: either power-sing through your problems like Christina Aguilera, or make like Rihanna and dance till you forget what you’re supposed to be getting over. On her first release since checking out of rehab, Demi Lovato wants to have it both ways. She’s front-loaded Unbroken with leave-no-synth-effect-behind R&B (”You’re My Only Shorty,” featuring Iyaz), shy love-in-this-club tracks (”Who’s That Boy”), and Timbaland bangers (”All Night Long,” with Missy Elliott). So it’s a little unnerving when she gets to the album’s second half — the part where, as she told Ryan Seacrest, ”I’m singing about some issues that I’ve never even spoken about before.” Having struggled with cutting since she was a preteen, Lovato admits, ”I ended up with wounds to bind…and I just ran out of Band-Aids” on the hugely affecting ballad ”Fix a Heart.” The piano confessional ”For the Love of a Daughter” finds her picturing herself at age 4, begging her dad to ”put the bottle down” and keep his ”selfish hands” to himself. And then there’s ”Skyscraper,” an anthem so honest you can hear her voice breaking. Clearly it’s been a tough year for Lovato. But as Rihanna could tell her, sometimes bad years make great songs. B+
COMEBACK KID Lovato exorcises her demons in this confessional album about her personal and professional struggles
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Demi Lovato; Music Label: Hollywood Records
Posted September 14 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Broadway-bound 'SpongeBob' musical to premiering in Chicago
- 'Drunk History' season 3 scoop: Will Ferrell as Roald Dahl and more
- One Direction producer previews new 1D album: 'We're experimenting a little'
- Rachel Bilson, Autumn Reeser stage 'O.C.' reunion at 'Unauthorized O.C. Musical'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' ratings dip to still-huge numbers
- Kylie Jenner stars in Tyga's new music video for 'Stimulated'
- First Look: Lucy Lane on 'Supergirl'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!