How does The CW get people like Snooki, Kim Kardashian, and Rebecca Black to confront their haters on H8R? Three words: host Mario Lopez. The Extra host uses his gig on the entertainment news show to sell celebs on the idea of appearing on H8R — which sends stars to meet the ordinary people who despise them. (Extra and H8R are produced by the same team at Telepictures.) After the subject agrees, the star’s publicist is looped in and shown a tape explaining the series. But it’s Lopez’s involvement that keeps the celebrities happy. ”Mario is the safety net,” says executive producer Lisa Gregorisch-Dempsey, who co-created H8R with Jeremy Spiegel. Lopez is there during the taping, adds Gregorisch-Dempsey, and ”if it really gets ugly [between the hater and the celebrity] he’ll break it up.” Other celebs who have taped a segment on H8R, which debuted Sept. 14: Lopez’s personal friend Eva Longoria, as well as Dina Lohan, Nadya ”Octomom” Suleman, Ron Artest, and Nick Cannon. But producers have a wish list of other subjects that includes Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, and Madonna — not to mention those on what Gregorisch-Dempsey calls the ”hall of shame” list, such as Tiger Woods, Anthony Weiner, and John Edwards.
Posted September 16 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'NCIS: LA' sneak peek: Callen is going rogue
- 'Hindsight' canceled by VH1
- Listen to 'The Unauthorized O.C. Musical' cast sing 'California'
- Ellen Page says it's 'borderline offensive' to call actors brave for playing LGBTQ roles
- How 'Hannibal' was 'The Sopranos'
- Everything you need to know about 'The Unauthorized O.C. Musical'
- Michael B. Jordan may bare his fangs in MGM's 'Blood Brothers'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!