How does The CW get people like Snooki, Kim Kardashian, and Rebecca Black to confront their haters on H8R? Three words: host Mario Lopez. The Extra host uses his gig on the entertainment news show to sell celebs on the idea of appearing on H8R — which sends stars to meet the ordinary people who despise them. (Extra and H8R are produced by the same team at Telepictures.) After the subject agrees, the star’s publicist is looped in and shown a tape explaining the series. But it’s Lopez’s involvement that keeps the celebrities happy. ”Mario is the safety net,” says executive producer Lisa Gregorisch-Dempsey, who co-created H8R with Jeremy Spiegel. Lopez is there during the taping, adds Gregorisch-Dempsey, and ”if it really gets ugly [between the hater and the celebrity] he’ll break it up.” Other celebs who have taped a segment on H8R, which debuted Sept. 14: Lopez’s personal friend Eva Longoria, as well as Dina Lohan, Nadya ”Octomom” Suleman, Ron Artest, and Nick Cannon. But producers have a wish list of other subjects that includes Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, and Madonna — not to mention those on what Gregorisch-Dempsey calls the ”hall of shame” list, such as Tiger Woods, Anthony Weiner, and John Edwards.
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!