How does The CW get people like Snooki, Kim Kardashian, and Rebecca Black to confront their haters on H8R? Three words: host Mario Lopez. The Extra host uses his gig on the entertainment news show to sell celebs on the idea of appearing on H8R — which sends stars to meet the ordinary people who despise them. (Extra and H8R are produced by the same team at Telepictures.) After the subject agrees, the star’s publicist is looped in and shown a tape explaining the series. But it’s Lopez’s involvement that keeps the celebrities happy. ”Mario is the safety net,” says executive producer Lisa Gregorisch-Dempsey, who co-created H8R with Jeremy Spiegel. Lopez is there during the taping, adds Gregorisch-Dempsey, and ”if it really gets ugly [between the hater and the celebrity] he’ll break it up.” Other celebs who have taped a segment on H8R, which debuted Sept. 14: Lopez’s personal friend Eva Longoria, as well as Dina Lohan, Nadya ”Octomom” Suleman, Ron Artest, and Nick Cannon. But producers have a wish list of other subjects that includes Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, and Madonna — not to mention those on what Gregorisch-Dempsey calls the ”hall of shame” list, such as Tiger Woods, Anthony Weiner, and John Edwards.
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Jason Sudeikis looks back at 'SNL' and ahead towards 'Fletch'
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!