After the recession and an unexpected baby, James, an out-of-work journalist, agrees to transport a stash of prime-grade weed from California to Florida as a temporary money fix. But when he gets a taste of the fast cash, he becomes addicted to the thrill of the operation, continuing long after money ceases to be a necessity. In Mule, an acutely detailed page-turner, D’Souza depicts the moral free fall of a decent — albeit weak-willed — man so believably, readers may start buying James’ brand of hazy moral justification. B+
CARRIED AWAY And unemployed journalist is swept up in the thrill as he transports drugs across America
Genre: Fiction; Author: Tony D'Souza; Publisher: Mariner Books
Posted September 22 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kelly Rutherford: Judge blocks kids' return
- Colin Donnell joins 'Chicago Med' cast
- Fans of 'The Goonies' are ringing in the 30th anniversary of the film in a big way
- Action Bronson removed from main stage of NXNE in wake of petition
- Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch: By the numbers
- Lifetime's 'The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe' is hardly revealing
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!