After the recession and an unexpected baby, James, an out-of-work journalist, agrees to transport a stash of prime-grade weed from California to Florida as a temporary money fix. But when he gets a taste of the fast cash, he becomes addicted to the thrill of the operation, continuing long after money ceases to be a necessity. In Mule, an acutely detailed page-turner, D’Souza depicts the moral free fall of a decent — albeit weak-willed — man so believably, readers may start buying James’ brand of hazy moral justification. B+
CARRIED AWAY And unemployed journalist is swept up in the thrill as he transports drugs across America
Genre: Fiction; Author: Tony D'Souza; Publisher: Mariner Books
Posted September 22 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Neil deGrasse Tyson hosts 'The Martian' promo
- 6 new things we know about Janet Jackson's 'Unbreakable'
- Tom Hardy demonstrates his lip sync skills with Dubsmash
- Jon Hamm in talks to star in sci-fi drama 'Marjorie Prime'
- Can you name these VMA nominees based on just one photo?
- Adele's new album may have its release date
- See Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Schumer dance on Billy Joel's piano
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!