After director Eli Craig assembled an early edit of his first movie, the horror comedy Tucker & Dale vs. Evil, he sent a copy to Sally Field. Not because the two-time Oscar-winning actress is a secret fan of such Tucker & Dale-inspiring movies as The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Evil Dead 2. But because she is Craig’s mother. ”Nobody was thinking [the movie] was funny,” says the director, 39. ”So I sent a rough cut to her and said, ‘Can you tell me if I’ll ever work again?”’ Craig had reason to worry, given the conventions-lampooning plot of Tucker & Dale, which stars Tyler Labine (Reaper) and Alan Tudyk (Firefly) as pals who get mistaken for homicidal hillbillies. (Craig says the original conceit was ”What if Leatherface was really just a good guy with an unwieldy chain saw?”) Fortunately, the movie earned fans in 2010 at Sundance and was later bought by indie distributor Magnet — thus confirming the initial opinion of Craig’s mom. ”She was the first one who said, ’ This is really funny,”’ he recalls. ”The encouraging thing was, I don’t think she’s ever seen The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.”
Posted September 23 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!