Boy meets boy in this low-budget, acutely observed relationship drama, a breakout hit at this year’s SXSW film festival. In the course of a weekend of sex, drugs, and a lot of talk, an intimate relationship between a recessive, semicloseted lifeguard (Tom Cullen) and a restless, loudly out artist (Chris New, magnetically slippery) emerges, creating an unexpected bond as deep as it is fleeting. British filmmaker Andrew Haigh’s background in editing (from Gladiator to Mister Lonely) is evident in the casual beauty of moments that only appear ”found,” giving Weekend an engrossing documentary feel. (Also available on demand) A-
EMOTIONAL CONNECTION Tom Cullen and Chris New in Weekend (Quinnford & Scout)
Starring: Tom Cullen; Director: Andrew Haigh; Release Date Limited: 10/20/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 96; Distributor: Sundance Selects
Posted September 26 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Emilia Clarke and Jason Momoa had a 'Game of Thrones' reunion
- Lenny Kravitz & James Franco rock out in the new 'Guitar Hero Live' commercial
- Lady Gaga's 'AHS: Hotel' role made her feel 'so alive'
- J.K. Rowling debunks 'Harry Potter' fan theories on Twitter
- Nicolas Cage doesn’t regret turning down 'Lord of the Rings' role
- Why Kate Winslet was nervous to meet the real Joanna Hoffman for 'Steve Jobs'
- See Taylor Swift and Charli XCX perform 'Boom Clap' in Toronto