Boy meets boy in this low-budget, acutely observed relationship drama, a breakout hit at this year’s SXSW film festival. In the course of a weekend of sex, drugs, and a lot of talk, an intimate relationship between a recessive, semicloseted lifeguard (Tom Cullen) and a restless, loudly out artist (Chris New, magnetically slippery) emerges, creating an unexpected bond as deep as it is fleeting. British filmmaker Andrew Haigh’s background in editing (from Gladiator to Mister Lonely) is evident in the casual beauty of moments that only appear ”found,” giving Weekend an engrossing documentary feel. (Also available on demand) A-
EMOTIONAL CONNECTION Tom Cullen and Chris New in Weekend (Quinnford & Scout)
Starring: Tom Cullen; Director: Andrew Haigh; Release Date Limited: 10/20/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 96; Distributor: Sundance Selects
Posted September 26 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Louis Tomlinson debuts new song on ‘X Factor’ days after mom’s death
- 'Insidious: Chapter 4' first look sees Lin Shaye facing her demons
- 'Sherlock' intense season 4 trailer: 'I love you'
- Patti Smith covers Bob Dylan at Nobel Prize ceremony
- 'Silence' reviews: Martin Scorsese's grand epic becomes dull roar
- 'GOTG 2' director James Gunn says Baby Groot isn't a marketing ploy
- Tim Miller on his 'Deadpool 2' exit: 'Don't believe what you read'