Boy meets boy in this low-budget, acutely observed relationship drama, a breakout hit at this year’s SXSW film festival. In the course of a weekend of sex, drugs, and a lot of talk, an intimate relationship between a recessive, semicloseted lifeguard (Tom Cullen) and a restless, loudly out artist (Chris New, magnetically slippery) emerges, creating an unexpected bond as deep as it is fleeting. British filmmaker Andrew Haigh’s background in editing (from Gladiator to Mister Lonely) is evident in the casual beauty of moments that only appear ”found,” giving Weekend an engrossing documentary feel. (Also available on demand) A-
EMOTIONAL CONNECTION Tom Cullen and Chris New in Weekend (Quinnford & Scout)
Starring: Tom Cullen; Director: Andrew Haigh; Release Date Limited: 10/20/2011; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 96; Distributor: Sundance Selects
Posted September 26 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Selena Gomez plays the villain in 'Bad Blood' behind-the-scenes clip
- Francis Ford Coppola explains the Old Hollywood magic of 'Dracula'
- Exclusive first look at Joan Collins' return to E!'s 'The Royals'
- Deadpool teases debut trailer with... a trailer
- Shudder chief says horror movie-streaming service is 'all killer, no filler'
- Tig Notaro strips down in 'Boyish Girl Interrupted' clip
- Jared Padalecki & Stephen Amell get shirtless in the name of charity
- Stars We Lost in 2015
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Sam Smith, Channing Tatum, Gwyneth Paltrow and More!