Boy meets boy in this low-budget, acutely observed relationship drama, a breakout hit at this year’s SXSW film festival. In the course of a weekend of sex, drugs, and a lot of talk, an intimate relationship between a recessive, semicloseted lifeguard (Tom Cullen) and a restless, loudly out artist (Chris New, magnetically slippery) emerges, creating an unexpected bond as deep as it is fleeting. British filmmaker Andrew Haigh’s background in editing (from Gladiator to Mister Lonely) is evident in the casual beauty of moments that only appear ”found,” giving Weekend an engrossing documentary feel. (Also available on demand) A-
EMOTIONAL CONNECTION Tom Cullen and Chris New in Weekend (Quinnford & Scout)
Starring: Tom Cullen; Director: Andrew Haigh; Release Date Limited: 10/20/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 96; Distributor: Sundance Selects
Posted September 26 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Agent Carter' takes on Tinseltown in season 2 teaser
- Idris Elba 'nearly died' filming 'Beasts of No Nation'
- Zach Galligan wants to return for 'Gremlins 3'
- Hear Erykah Badu and Andre 3000 team up for 'Hello'
- 'Gods of Egypt' director: 'Our casting choices should have been more diverse'
- Patti LaBelle spends Thanksgiving with pie fan James Wright
- Hear Sia's new single 'One Million Bullets'