Boy meets boy in this low-budget, acutely observed relationship drama, a breakout hit at this year’s SXSW film festival. In the course of a weekend of sex, drugs, and a lot of talk, an intimate relationship between a recessive, semicloseted lifeguard (Tom Cullen) and a restless, loudly out artist (Chris New, magnetically slippery) emerges, creating an unexpected bond as deep as it is fleeting. British filmmaker Andrew Haigh’s background in editing (from Gladiator to Mister Lonely) is evident in the casual beauty of moments that only appear ”found,” giving Weekend an engrossing documentary feel. (Also available on demand) A-
EMOTIONAL CONNECTION Tom Cullen and Chris New in Weekend (Quinnford & Scout)
Starring: Tom Cullen; Director: Andrew Haigh; Release Date Limited: 10/20/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 96; Distributor: Sundance Selects
Posted September 26 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Lewis Black yells at roommates so you don't have to
- 'Morgan' trailer: Kate Mara gets an ominous intro to artificial life
- Bonnaroo: The uncensored history of America's wildest festival
- Emilia Clarke sings 'MMMBop' in Dothraki
- The Bachelorette's JoJo Fletcher talks connection with Jordan Rodgers
- The Roots reenact an awkward scene from 'The Bachelorette'
- Shura releases new '80s-inspired track, 'What's It Gonna Be'