The title, Machine Gun Preacher, makes it sound like a piece of grindhouse kitsch — and by the time it’s over, you’ll be thinking, ”If only!” Gerard Butler, who wears the same blank-wall expression whenever he’s not throwing a fit of teeth-gnashing rage, plays the real-life Sam Childers, a druggie hooligan who found Jesus and went to the war-torn hell of Sudan to help save the lives of abused, maimed, often conscripted children. Marc Forster (Quantum of Solace) directs with a gruelingly earnest, plodding sincerity, except that the film never gets beyond pulp psychology. It’s like Machete remade as an awards-bait snoozer. D
EX-CON Gerard Butler in Machine Gun Preacher (Ilze Kitshoff)
Starring: Gerard Butler, Michelle Monaghan; Director: Marc Forster; Release Date Wide: 11/18/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 123; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Relativity Media
Posted September 30 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Martian' extended cut has 10 minutes of extra footage
- Woody Harrelson denied medical marijuana dispensary license: Report
- WATCH: How Ryan Gosling put Margaret Qualley at ease on 'Nice Guys'
- 'That '70s Show' cast reunite on the set of Netflix's 'The Ranch'
- 'Scandal' stars tour the White House ahead of Correspondents' Dinner
- Paul Rudd had a fanboy moment over 'Captain America: Civil War'
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch