The title, Machine Gun Preacher, makes it sound like a piece of grindhouse kitsch — and by the time it’s over, you’ll be thinking, ”If only!” Gerard Butler, who wears the same blank-wall expression whenever he’s not throwing a fit of teeth-gnashing rage, plays the real-life Sam Childers, a druggie hooligan who found Jesus and went to the war-torn hell of Sudan to help save the lives of abused, maimed, often conscripted children. Marc Forster (Quantum of Solace) directs with a gruelingly earnest, plodding sincerity, except that the film never gets beyond pulp psychology. It’s like Machete remade as an awards-bait snoozer. D
EX-CON Gerard Butler in Machine Gun Preacher (Ilze Kitshoff)
Starring: Gerard Butler, Michelle Monaghan; Director: Marc Forster; Release Date Wide: 11/18/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 123; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Relativity Media
Posted September 30 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Schwarzenegger takes on climate change in James Cameron's DNC video
- Will Jessica Jones appear on 'Luke Cage'?
- John Malkovich to headline TV adaptation of 'Humboldt' crime novels
- 'Lights Out' sequel is in early stages at New Line
- 'Ghostbusters' Twitter account endorses Hillary Clinton: '#ImWithHer'
- Brie Larson opens up about 'nerve-racking' Captain Marvel reveal
- Disney's live-action 'Nutcracker' casts Mackenzie Foy as Clara
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels