The title, Machine Gun Preacher, makes it sound like a piece of grindhouse kitsch — and by the time it’s over, you’ll be thinking, ”If only!” Gerard Butler, who wears the same blank-wall expression whenever he’s not throwing a fit of teeth-gnashing rage, plays the real-life Sam Childers, a druggie hooligan who found Jesus and went to the war-torn hell of Sudan to help save the lives of abused, maimed, often conscripted children. Marc Forster (Quantum of Solace) directs with a gruelingly earnest, plodding sincerity, except that the film never gets beyond pulp psychology. It’s like Machete remade as an awards-bait snoozer. D
EX-CON Gerard Butler in Machine Gun Preacher (Ilze Kitshoff)
Starring: Gerard Butler, Michelle Monaghan; Director: Marc Forster; Release Date Wide: 11/18/2011; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 123; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Relativity Media
Posted September 30 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Ryan Reynolds give Conan O’Brien a massage as Deadpool (with panda tears)
- Kevin Bacon campaigns for more male nudity in Hollywood in mock PSA
- See the red band trailer for Ryan Reynolds' 'Deadpool'
- 'Playing House' season 2 premiere react: Did you find the BFFs' return 'totes kewl'?
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on that 'uncomfortable' Twitter save
- Casting Net: Will Smith replaces Hugh Jackman in 'Collateral Beauty'
- 9 spoilers on 'Grey’s Anatomy,' 'Scandal,' 'Murder'