The title, Machine Gun Preacher, makes it sound like a piece of grindhouse kitsch — and by the time it’s over, you’ll be thinking, ”If only!” Gerard Butler, who wears the same blank-wall expression whenever he’s not throwing a fit of teeth-gnashing rage, plays the real-life Sam Childers, a druggie hooligan who found Jesus and went to the war-torn hell of Sudan to help save the lives of abused, maimed, often conscripted children. Marc Forster (Quantum of Solace) directs with a gruelingly earnest, plodding sincerity, except that the film never gets beyond pulp psychology. It’s like Machete remade as an awards-bait snoozer. D
EX-CON Gerard Butler in Machine Gun Preacher (Ilze Kitshoff)
Starring: Gerard Butler, Michelle Monaghan; Director: Marc Forster; Release Date Wide: 11/18/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 123; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Relativity Media
Posted September 30 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Listen to Carmelo Anthony and Jesse Eisenberg read from 'Bream Gives Me Hiccups' -- exclusive
- Shadowman returns to the Valiant Universe in 'Operation: Deadside'
- Nina Dobrev, Matt McGorry, and more advocate for sexual consent in 'It's On Us' campaign
- 'Survivor' players reveal whom they want out of the game first
- Demi Lovato pays tribute to late father on anticipated fall album—exclusive details
- See the 'Halo 5' opening cinematic (with Nathan Fillion and Mike Colter)
- Eddie Redmayne becomes 'The Danish Girl' in film's first trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!