How you like Courageous — an overtly Christian-targeted production about four police officers learning lessons about God and family — will likely mirror how you view church: It?s either an overlong ordeal filled with talky sermonizing or an uplifting communion with your deity and values. Or it?s just not your thing in the first place. The movie starts off well enough with agreeable characters, passable dialogue, and the genial tone of an episode of 7th Heaven, but eventually devolves into over-the-top drama and a suffocating heavy-handedness. Prayers are made and answered on a regular basis, a cynical agnostic converts and is immediately transfigured into a better man, and characters stop to lecture for minutes on end about God?s plan while all but looking at the camera and into the audience. To the film?s credit, the tragic accident at its center is handled respectfully and not mined for easy moralizing, making it rather moving. But for all intents and purposes the theater seats might as well be pews. Following his last few films, including 2008?s Fireproof, director Alex Kendrick is clearly trying to bring popcorn-munching moviegoers into the fold — but it?s more likely he?s just preaching to the choir. C
CourageousHow you like Courageous — an overtly Christian-targeted production about four police officers learning lessons about God and family &...CourageousPT101MHow you like Courageous — an overtly Christian-targeted production about four police officers learning lessons about God and family &...2011-10-02
BADGE OF COURAGE Alex Kendrick and Kevin Downes in Courageous
Starring: Alex Kendrick; Director: Alex Kendrick; Runtime (in minutes): 101
Posted October 2 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt
- Comedian Matt Braunger on pilot season, his new album 'Big Dumb Animal,' and the science of titles
- 'Agents of SHIELD' eyes Skye's arc: 'Birth of a superhero'