On his latest, Future History, Derulo makes several ?attempts at home-run club records and huge ballads. He swings hard, but often misses — perhaps his biggest problem ? is that he’s not rooted in any genre outside of people-?pleasing pop; lead single ”Don’t Wanna Go Home,” built heavily on multiple samples, is the rare victory here. It’s when he scales back on the synths, as on ”That’s My Shhh,” that he thrills. The man should give true R&B a try. B-
Future History On his latest, Future History, Derulo makes several ?attempts at home-run club records and huge ballads. He swings hard, but often...Future HistoryPop On his latest, Future History, Derulo makes several ?attempts at home-run club records and huge ballads. He swings hard, but often...2011-10-04
WAVE OF THE 'FUTURE' Scaled-back sounds work best for the Miami-born singer
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Jason Derulo; Music Label: Warner Bros.
Posted October 4 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Former 'Mad Men' stars talk saying goodbye and the 'brilliantly talented' Jon Hamm
- Watch Ed Sheeran surprise a couple on their wedding day
- Pentangle founding member John Renbourn dies at 70
- Taylor Swift is one of the 'World's Greatest Leaders,' according to 'Fortune'
- Box office preview: 'Home' faces off against 'Get Hard'
- 'It Follows' star says response to film has been 'crazy'
- The world's friendliest Satanist stars in Suneaters' 'Hey Bros!' video -- exclusive
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!