On his latest, Future History, Derulo makes several ?attempts at home-run club records and huge ballads. He swings hard, but often misses — perhaps his biggest problem ? is that he’s not rooted in any genre outside of people-?pleasing pop; lead single ”Don’t Wanna Go Home,” built heavily on multiple samples, is the rare victory here. It’s when he scales back on the synths, as on ”That’s My Shhh,” that he thrills. The man should give true R&B a try. B-
Future History On his latest, Future History, Derulo makes several ?attempts at home-run club records and huge ballads. He swings hard, but often...Future HistoryPop On his latest, Future History, Derulo makes several ?attempts at home-run club records and huge ballads. He swings hard, but often...2011-10-04
WAVE OF THE 'FUTURE' Scaled-back sounds work best for the Miami-born singer
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Jason Derulo; Music Label: Warner Bros.
Posted October 4 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Fantastic Four' cast says they still haven't seen the film
- Candace Cameron Bure shares new 'Fuller House' photo
- 'Deadpool' red band trailer to officially debut Tuesday on 'Conan'
- Dave Grohl responds in Italian to 1,000 fans who covered ‘Learn to Fly’
- Someone cut together 280 movies for an epic 'Uptown Funk' cover
- Box office report: ‘Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation,’ 'Vacation'
- First teaser for 'Zoolander 2' asks one big existential question
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!