Michael Shannon returns to familiar creepy-dude territory as a good Midwestern family man racked with a dread that troubles his wife (Jessica Chastain): Are his hallucinations portents of the schizophrenia that runs in his family, metaphors for the terrors of keeping loved ones safe, or signs only he can see of a very real cosmic cataclysm ahead? Writer-director Jeff Nichols builds his elegantly shot, weather-sensitive horror story in waves of tension that crest as if pulled by tempests. A-
GIMME 'SHELTER' Jessica Chastain in Take Shelter (Sony Pictures Classics)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Jessica Chastain, Michael Shannon; Director: Jeff Nichols; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted October 6 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Nightly Show': Jon Stewart is the newest senior 'Don't Give a S---' correspondent
- Drake disses Meek Mill in new freestyle: 'Is that a world tour or your girl's tour?'
- Jimmy Kimmel chokes up over death of Cecil the lion
- Anthony Geary may return to 'General Hospital' if 'story is interesting'
- See the first trailer for Michael Bay's Benghazi movie
- Did 'Scream' just reveal the killer?
- Cindy Crawford is developing NBC series about fashion in the '80s
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Ellie Kemper, Matthew Fox, The VS Angels & More!