Michael Shannon returns to familiar creepy-dude territory as a good Midwestern family man racked with a dread that troubles his wife (Jessica Chastain): Are his hallucinations portents of the schizophrenia that runs in his family, metaphors for the terrors of keeping loved ones safe, or signs only he can see of a very real cosmic cataclysm ahead? Writer-director Jeff Nichols builds his elegantly shot, weather-sensitive horror story in waves of tension that crest as if pulled by tempests. A-
GIMME 'SHELTER' Jessica Chastain in Take Shelter (Sony Pictures Classics)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Jessica Chastain, Michael Shannon; Director: Jeff Nichols; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- What we're reading now: Hammer Head by Nina MacLaughlin
- Trevor Noah eyed as 'Daily Show' host?
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller Kate & Kate and More!