There’s a contemplative loveliness to The Way, an affecting personal project both for Emilio Estevez, who wrote, directed, and plays a small role, and for his father, Martin Sheen. Sheen plays a self-absorbed eye doctor who begins to see the world with new eyes as he makes a pilgrimage along the historical Camino de Santiago — the Way of Saint James — across the Pyrenees. As he meets other pilgrims, this humbled doc discovers what it means to be engaged in one’s own life. B+
HISTORICAL PILGRIMAGE Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez in The Way
Starring: Emilio Estevez, Martin Sheen; Director: Emilio Estevez; Runtime (in minutes): 115; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted October 7 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Grey's Anatomy' surprise: Sara Ramirez tweets a (final?) goodbye
- Drew Barrymore narrating Ellen DeGeneres' NBC series 'First Dates'
- Patti Smith's 1976 interview gets animated in new Blank on Blank
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': Mercedes Mason on possible Ofelia romance
- Tracy Morgan remembers Prince in hilarious as-told-to
- I'm watching 'Dance Moms' with my 8-year-old twin daughters: Episode 17
- Neil Young details new live album 'Earth'