Scotty McCreery may be the oldest 18-year-old alive. On Clear as Day, American Idol’s latest champ sounds like he’s 52, and not just because of the Randy Travis baritone coming from his Opie Taylor mouth. It’s that he’s anticipating being ”old and gray” and reliving high school memories that are still ”clear as day” (um, that’s because he hasn’t graduated yet). His world’s so archaic, girls don’t even send him texts: He has to say ”Write My Number on Your Hand.” At least his Idol rival Lauren Alaina acts her age. On Wildflower, she captures the restless spirit of small-town girls who get grounded for French-kissing the boy next door; you can hear her rebel fire in the barn-burning fiddles on ”Georgia Peaches.” Just try to ignore the fact that on ”The Locket,” a sonic version of the Ryan Gosling weepie The Notebook, she recalls a romance that began ”back in ‘41.” Kids — they grow up so fast! Clear as Day: C+, Wildflower: B
'IDOL' THOUGHTS McCreery sings with a voice, and a subject matter, well beyond his age
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Scotty McCreery; Music Label: Mercury Nashville
Posted October 13 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- Wrestling legend Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka charged in 1983 murder
- Meet Denise, Kermit the Frog's new love interest
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: tWitch on Team Street's best exit
- 'Daily Show with Trevor Noah' promo previews a few changes with new host
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!