Scotty McCreery may be the oldest 18-year-old alive. On Clear as Day, American Idol’s latest champ sounds like he’s 52, and not just because of the Randy Travis baritone coming from his Opie Taylor mouth. It’s that he’s anticipating being ”old and gray” and reliving high school memories that are still ”clear as day” (um, that’s because he hasn’t graduated yet). His world’s so archaic, girls don’t even send him texts: He has to say ”Write My Number on Your Hand.” At least his Idol rival Lauren Alaina acts her age. On Wildflower, she captures the restless spirit of small-town girls who get grounded for French-kissing the boy next door; you can hear her rebel fire in the barn-burning fiddles on ”Georgia Peaches.” Just try to ignore the fact that on ”The Locket,” a sonic version of the Ryan Gosling weepie The Notebook, she recalls a romance that began ”back in ‘41.” Kids — they grow up so fast! Clear as Day: C+, Wildflower: B
WildflowerScotty McCreery may be the oldest 18-year-old alive. On Clear as Day, American Idol's latest champ sounds like he's 52, and not just...WildflowerScotty McCreery may be the oldest 18-year-old alive. On Clear as Day, American Idol's latest champ sounds like he's 52, and not just...2011-10-13
'FLOWER' POWER Idol alum Alaina revels in girly things and teenage fun on her debut
Lead Performer: Lauren Alaina; Music Label: Mercury Nashville
Posted October 13 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Quantico' postmortem: Who's gone from the Academy?
- 'Walking Dead' prologue scene sets up Negan, second half of season 6
- 'The Walking Dead': Did the midseason finale satisfy?
- See My Morning Jacket cover Eagles of Death Metal
- Sinead O’Connor found safe after posting that she had ‘taken an overdose'
- See Tracee Ellis Ross perform on stage with mom Diana Ross
- John Legend serenades Chrissy Teigen for her 30th birthday