”She was tough and funny, and one of the smartest people I’ve ever known,” Lorne Michaels says of überagent Sue Mengers, who passed away from pneumonia in her Beverly Hills home on Oct. 15 at the age of 79. The German-born Mengers, an undisputed trailblazer for women in Hollywood, began as a receptionist in 1955 at the MCA talent agency and rose to become one of the most powerful agents in the industry, representing Barbra Streisand, Michael Caine, Ali MacGraw, Faye Dunaway, Candice Bergen, Steve McQueen, Cybill Shepherd, and Sidney Lumet over the course of her career and her heyday at ICM. But she was just as well-known for her brash personality, quick, caustic wit, and A-listers-only parties. (”My own mother wouldn’t have got in if she was standing outside in the rain,” she once quipped in an interview.) Not to mention her influence among Hollywood’s elite: ”I think what everyone loved about her is that she could tell the truth in a town where almost everybody is defending or selling their particular position,” says Michaels, a close friend since the mid-’70s. ”She was surrounded by very powerful people and she didn’t have to be anything other than herself. She loved being around smart, talented people,” he says. ”It was a sort of oxygen to her.”
Posted October 21 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The next generation of male pop stars, from Harry Styles to The Weeknd
- The slow, curious fade of the male pop star
- Final 'Dexter' book says farewell to serial killer Dexter Morgan
- Kel Mitchell talks return to Nickelodeon this fall in 'Game Shakers'
- Kevin Bacon, Neil Marshall, and the other Thor to attend Fantasia 2015
- Tatiana Maslany, Haley Joel Osment among cast for 'Locke & Key' audiobook
- Here's your best look yet at the very cool 'No Man's Sky'
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Pippa Middleton, Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Alba & More!