”She was tough and funny, and one of the smartest people I’ve ever known,” Lorne Michaels says of überagent Sue Mengers, who passed away from pneumonia in her Beverly Hills home on Oct. 15 at the age of 79. The German-born Mengers, an undisputed trailblazer for women in Hollywood, began as a receptionist in 1955 at the MCA talent agency and rose to become one of the most powerful agents in the industry, representing Barbra Streisand, Michael Caine, Ali MacGraw, Faye Dunaway, Candice Bergen, Steve McQueen, Cybill Shepherd, and Sidney Lumet over the course of her career and her heyday at ICM. But she was just as well-known for her brash personality, quick, caustic wit, and A-listers-only parties. (”My own mother wouldn’t have got in if she was standing outside in the rain,” she once quipped in an interview.) Not to mention her influence among Hollywood’s elite: ”I think what everyone loved about her is that she could tell the truth in a town where almost everybody is defending or selling their particular position,” says Michaels, a close friend since the mid-’70s. ”She was surrounded by very powerful people and she didn’t have to be anything other than herself. She loved being around smart, talented people,” he says. ”It was a sort of oxygen to her.”
Posted October 21 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The Democratic Party approves of Kanye West's presidential run
- Broadway-bound 'SpongeBob' musical to premiering in Chicago
- 'Drunk History' season 3 scoop: Will Ferrell as Roald Dahl and more
- One Direction producer previews new 1D album: 'We're experimenting a little'
- Rachel Bilson, Autumn Reeser stage 'O.C.' reunion at 'Unauthorized O.C. Musical'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' ratings dip to still-huge numbers
- Kylie Jenner stars in Tyga's new music video for 'Stimulated'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!