”She was tough and funny, and one of the smartest people I’ve ever known,” Lorne Michaels says of überagent Sue Mengers, who passed away from pneumonia in her Beverly Hills home on Oct. 15 at the age of 79. The German-born Mengers, an undisputed trailblazer for women in Hollywood, began as a receptionist in 1955 at the MCA talent agency and rose to become one of the most powerful agents in the industry, representing Barbra Streisand, Michael Caine, Ali MacGraw, Faye Dunaway, Candice Bergen, Steve McQueen, Cybill Shepherd, and Sidney Lumet over the course of her career and her heyday at ICM. But she was just as well-known for her brash personality, quick, caustic wit, and A-listers-only parties. (”My own mother wouldn’t have got in if she was standing outside in the rain,” she once quipped in an interview.) Not to mention her influence among Hollywood’s elite: ”I think what everyone loved about her is that she could tell the truth in a town where almost everybody is defending or selling their particular position,” says Michaels, a close friend since the mid-’70s. ”She was surrounded by very powerful people and she didn’t have to be anything other than herself. She loved being around smart, talented people,” he says. ”It was a sort of oxygen to her.”
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Jon Stewart's final 'Daily Show' to air Aug. 6
- 'Full House' revival at Netflix officially on; 13 episodes to arrive in 2016
- 'Inside Amy Schumer' renewed
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race': Our audience with returning queen
- 'Bachelorette' first promo: This crazytown ain't big enough for the both of them
- 'Originals' boss breaks down latest shockers, previews a devastating finale
- 'Ant-Man' gets a tiny billboard campaign
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Hayden Panettiere, Olivia Munn, Salma Hayek & More!