Rowan Atkinson’s hapless, Clouseau-esque British spy is recalled from disgrace-hastened retirement to foil the usual dastardly plot in Johnny English Reborn, a belated follow-up to 2003’s Johnny English. The hugely talented Atkinson does his best with the predictable script and is enthusiastically abetted by the likes of Gillian Anderson, Dominic West, and the comedian’s onetime Blackadder costar Tim McInnerny. But fans of sophisticated humor may feel empathy with, if not sympathy for, the lead character on those many occasions he is kicked in the nuts. C+
ONE MAN Rowan Atkinson in Johnny English Reborn (Van Redin)
Genre: Comedy, PG; Starring: Gillian Anderson, Rowan Atkinson; Release Date Wide: 10/21/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 102; Distributor: Universal Pictures
Posted October 25 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Maya Rudolph to guest-star on 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine'
- 'Pokémon' theme singer Jason Paige performs song in studio recording
- Gillian Jacobs: The Improvised Interview
- 'Once Upon a Time' to delve into Savior mythology
- 'Hobo with a Shotgun' director to make 'New York City Outlaws'
- 10 under-the-radar songs from emerging artists to hear now
- Team USA flag bearer's jacket will glow at Olympics Opening Ceremony