Rowan Atkinson’s hapless, Clouseau-esque British spy is recalled from disgrace-hastened retirement to foil the usual dastardly plot in Johnny English Reborn, a belated follow-up to 2003’s Johnny English. The hugely talented Atkinson does his best with the predictable script and is enthusiastically abetted by the likes of Gillian Anderson, Dominic West, and the comedian’s onetime Blackadder costar Tim McInnerny. But fans of sophisticated humor may feel empathy with, if not sympathy for, the lead character on those many occasions he is kicked in the nuts. C+
ONE MAN Rowan Atkinson in Johnny English Reborn (Van Redin)
Genre: Comedy, PG; Starring: Gillian Anderson, Rowan Atkinson; Release Date Wide: 10/21/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 102; Distributor: Universal Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- 'Full House' revival at Netflix officially on; 13 episodes to arrive in 2016
- 'Inside Amy Schumer' renewed
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race': Our audience with returning queen
- 'Bachelorette' first promo: This crazytown ain't big enough for the both of them
- 'Originals' boss breaks down latest shockers, previews a devastating finale
- 'Ant-Man' gets a tiny billboard campaign
- Django Django unveil trippy, magenta-hued video for 'Beginning to Fade'
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Katy Perry, Tim & Faith, Blake Lively and More!