Rowan Atkinson’s hapless, Clouseau-esque British spy is recalled from disgrace-hastened retirement to foil the usual dastardly plot in Johnny English Reborn, a belated follow-up to 2003’s Johnny English. The hugely talented Atkinson does his best with the predictable script and is enthusiastically abetted by the likes of Gillian Anderson, Dominic West, and the comedian’s onetime Blackadder costar Tim McInnerny. But fans of sophisticated humor may feel empathy with, if not sympathy for, the lead character on those many occasions he is kicked in the nuts. C+
ONE MAN Rowan Atkinson in Johnny English Reborn (Van Redin)
Genre: Comedy, PG; Starring: Gillian Anderson, Rowan Atkinson; Release Date Wide: 10/21/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 102; Distributor: Universal Pictures
Posted October 25 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters