Rowan Atkinson’s hapless, Clouseau-esque British spy is recalled from disgrace-hastened retirement to foil the usual dastardly plot in Johnny English Reborn, a belated follow-up to 2003’s Johnny English. The hugely talented Atkinson does his best with the predictable script and is enthusiastically abetted by the likes of Gillian Anderson, Dominic West, and the comedian’s onetime Blackadder costar Tim McInnerny. But fans of sophisticated humor may feel empathy with, if not sympathy for, the lead character on those many occasions he is kicked in the nuts. C+
ONE MAN Rowan Atkinson in Johnny English Reborn (Van Redin)
Genre: Comedy, PG; Starring: Gillian Anderson, Rowan Atkinson; Release Date Wide: 10/21/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 102; Distributor: Universal Pictures
Posted October 25 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See the first trailer for Michael Bay's Benghazi movie
- Did 'Scream' just reveal the killer?
- Cindy Crawford is developing NBC series about fashion in the '80s
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- 'Empire' creator goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall talks controversial elimination
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!