Rowan Atkinson’s hapless, Clouseau-esque British spy is recalled from disgrace-hastened retirement to foil the usual dastardly plot in Johnny English Reborn, a belated follow-up to 2003’s Johnny English. The hugely talented Atkinson does his best with the predictable script and is enthusiastically abetted by the likes of Gillian Anderson, Dominic West, and the comedian’s onetime Blackadder costar Tim McInnerny. But fans of sophisticated humor may feel empathy with, if not sympathy for, the lead character on those many occasions he is kicked in the nuts. C+
ONE MAN Rowan Atkinson in Johnny English Reborn (Van Redin)
Genre: Comedy, PG; Starring: Gillian Anderson, Rowan Atkinson; Release Date Wide: 10/21/2011; Runtime (in minutes): 102; Distributor: Universal Pictures
Posted October 25 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Pitch' sneak peek: Ginny's not the only female in a man's world
- 'Grey's Anatomy': What's next for the Mer-Maggie-Riggs triangle?
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon share a textual experience
- What To Watch Thursday: Another bad person in 'The Good Place'
- 'A Game of Thrones': Preview the enhanced iBooks edition
- 'Survivor': Jeff Probst on the latest medical scare
- 'Criminal Minds': Thomas Gibson returns for premiere