Everett Collection
Darren Franich
November 02, 2011 AT 07:55 PM EDT

It’s no surprise to find out that Roger Moore wasn’t a big fan of the last James Bond movie, Quantum of Solace. After all, Solace was an unfun, manic-depressive slog with a vaguely socially-conscious plot — the Bolivian water supply! — which is pretty much the cinematic geographic opposite of the Moore-era movies, which confronted somewhat more arcane social issues like bobsledding and space lasers. Still, it’s a kick to see the still-spry Moore call Solace “a long disjointed commercial” in an interview with Varsity, a Cambridge University student newspaper. Even more entertaining: When asked about the man who preceded him as 007, Moore puckishly replies, “Sean is a good actor; it’s a pity I can’t understand what he’s saying.”

Start the debate: Hilariously witty insult, or just an old English dude making fun of an old Scottish dude? I’m a Connery loyalist till I die, but hard to argue against the fact that Moore seems pretty freaking charming in real life. Now we just need to start getting excited for the moment twenty years from now when Pierce Brosnan gives an interview to an Oxford student newspaper and kicks off a bitter cross-court rivalry with his own predecessor, Timothy Dalton.

Follow Darren on Twitter: @EWDarrenFranich

Read more:

James Bond set for ‘Skyfall’?

James Bond: 18 Best Death Scenes

You May Like

Comments

EDIT POST