In the impossibly thrilling The Scorpio Races, Stiefvater — the 29-year-old author of the Shiver trilogy — turns to the Celtic myth of the fearsome water horse, the capall uisces, for inspiration. Each November the island of Thisby hosts the ”Scorpio Races,” which use not horses but capall uisces, more interested in murdering their riders than in crossing the finish line. Our two heroes are the tomboyish Puck Connelly, the first woman to enter the race, and the quiet loner Sean Kendrick, capall whisperer. Though a potent romance brews between them, the question is less ”Will they or won’t they?” than ”Will they both survive?” With this beautifully executed drama, Stiefvater has established herself as one of the finest YA novelists writing today. A-
'SCORPIO' SCRIBE RISING Stiefvater brings a chilling, thrilling follow-up to her Shiver trilogy
Genre: Young Adult; Author: Maggie Stiefvater; Publisher: Scholastic Books
Posted November 2 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Stranger Things' bosses tease 'darker' season 2
- 'Wolf Creek' TV show to spook viewers in October
- Netflix chief: There are too many 'mediocre' shows
- Questlove condemns Bill O'Reilly for slavery comments
- WATCH: Leona Lewis sings in 'Cats' Broadway revival montage
- Julia Roberts on Garry Marshall: I was lucky 'to have been loved by him'
- Netflix explains why they didn't rescue 'Agent Carter'
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels