In the impossibly thrilling The Scorpio Races, Stiefvater — the 29-year-old author of the Shiver trilogy — turns to the Celtic myth of the fearsome water horse, the capall uisces, for inspiration. Each November the island of Thisby hosts the ”Scorpio Races,” which use not horses but capall uisces, more interested in murdering their riders than in crossing the finish line. Our two heroes are the tomboyish Puck Connelly, the first woman to enter the race, and the quiet loner Sean Kendrick, capall whisperer. Though a potent romance brews between them, the question is less ”Will they or won’t they?” than ”Will they both survive?” With this beautifully executed drama, Stiefvater has established herself as one of the finest YA novelists writing today. A-
'SCORPIO' SCRIBE RISING Stiefvater brings a chilling, thrilling follow-up to her Shiver trilogy
Genre: Young Adult; Author: Maggie Stiefvater; Publisher: Scholastic Books
Posted November 2 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Rihanna & Drake countdown website is fake: source
- 'Supergirl' casts Superman villain Metallo — exclusive
- 'The Office' stars Jenna Fischer, Angela Kinsey reunite
- A bachelor party turns bloody in extreme clip from horror film 'Siren'
- Walton Goggins tells the story of losing his front teeth... twice
- James Franco, Zoë Kravitz, Jack Reynor to star in sci-fi film 'Kin'
- Allison Janney 'arrested' Emily Blunt on 'The Girl on the Train' set