In the impossibly thrilling The Scorpio Races, Stiefvater — the 29-year-old author of the Shiver trilogy — turns to the Celtic myth of the fearsome water horse, the capall uisces, for inspiration. Each November the island of Thisby hosts the ”Scorpio Races,” which use not horses but capall uisces, more interested in murdering their riders than in crossing the finish line. Our two heroes are the tomboyish Puck Connelly, the first woman to enter the race, and the quiet loner Sean Kendrick, capall whisperer. Though a potent romance brews between them, the question is less ”Will they or won’t they?” than ”Will they both survive?” With this beautifully executed drama, Stiefvater has established herself as one of the finest YA novelists writing today. A-
'SCORPIO' SCRIBE RISING Stiefvater brings a chilling, thrilling follow-up to her Shiver trilogy
Genre: Young Adult; Author: Maggie Stiefvater; Publisher: Scholastic Books
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Tracee Ellis Ross, Hilary Duff, Scott Eastwood & More!