In the impossibly thrilling The Scorpio Races, Stiefvater — the 29-year-old author of the Shiver trilogy — turns to the Celtic myth of the fearsome water horse, the capall uisces, for inspiration. Each November the island of Thisby hosts the ”Scorpio Races,” which use not horses but capall uisces, more interested in murdering their riders than in crossing the finish line. Our two heroes are the tomboyish Puck Connelly, the first woman to enter the race, and the quiet loner Sean Kendrick, capall whisperer. Though a potent romance brews between them, the question is less ”Will they or won’t they?” than ”Will they both survive?” With this beautifully executed drama, Stiefvater has established herself as one of the finest YA novelists writing today. A-
'SCORPIO' SCRIBE RISING Stiefvater brings a chilling, thrilling follow-up to her Shiver trilogy
Genre: Young Adult; Author: Maggie Stiefvater; Publisher: Scholastic Books
Posted November 2 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!