Ethan (Alessandro Nivola), the surly leader of an indie-rock band, learns that he has a 13-year-old daughter, Janie (Abigail Breslin) — and that he has to take care of her right in the middle of his tour of honky-tonk bars. It’s a Hollywood setup, only done in a rambly, micro-budgeted way. And with Ethan and Janie sharing folkie duets, it has a certain small, wan charm, like a father-daughter gloss on Once. Breslin is a clear-eyed delight. (Also available on demand) B-
SECOND CHANCES Alessandro Nivola and Abigal Breslin in Janie Jones (Dean Williams)
Starring: Abigail Breslin, Alessandro Nivola; Runtime (in minutes): 107
Posted November 4 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt