Ethan (Alessandro Nivola), the surly leader of an indie-rock band, learns that he has a 13-year-old daughter, Janie (Abigail Breslin) — and that he has to take care of her right in the middle of his tour of honky-tonk bars. It’s a Hollywood setup, only done in a rambly, micro-budgeted way. And with Ethan and Janie sharing folkie duets, it has a certain small, wan charm, like a father-daughter gloss on Once. Breslin is a clear-eyed delight. (Also available on demand) B-
SECOND CHANCES Alessandro Nivola and Abigal Breslin in Janie Jones (Dean Williams)
Starring: Abigail Breslin, Alessandro Nivola; Runtime (in minutes): 107
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- Angelina Jolie makes first public appearance since her surgery at the Kids Choice Awards
- Kids Choice Awards 2015 winners are...
- 'SNL react: Your quick take on The Rock and George Ezra?
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!