Ethan (Alessandro Nivola), the surly leader of an indie-rock band, learns that he has a 13-year-old daughter, Janie (Abigail Breslin) — and that he has to take care of her right in the middle of his tour of honky-tonk bars. It’s a Hollywood setup, only done in a rambly, micro-budgeted way. And with Ethan and Janie sharing folkie duets, it has a certain small, wan charm, like a father-daughter gloss on Once. Breslin is a clear-eyed delight. (Also available on demand) B-
SECOND CHANCES Alessandro Nivola and Abigal Breslin in Janie Jones (Dean Williams)
Starring: Abigail Breslin, Alessandro Nivola; Runtime (in minutes): 107
Posted November 4 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!