Ethan (Alessandro Nivola), the surly leader of an indie-rock band, learns that he has a 13-year-old daughter, Janie (Abigail Breslin) — and that he has to take care of her right in the middle of his tour of honky-tonk bars. It’s a Hollywood setup, only done in a rambly, micro-budgeted way. And with Ethan and Janie sharing folkie duets, it has a certain small, wan charm, like a father-daughter gloss on Once. Breslin is a clear-eyed delight. (Also available on demand) B-
SECOND CHANCES Alessandro Nivola and Abigal Breslin in Janie Jones (Dean Williams)
Starring: Abigail Breslin, Alessandro Nivola; Runtime (in minutes): 107
Posted November 4 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- All the breakout artists Zane Lowe highlighted during his debut show on Beats 1
- James Gunn absolutely loved 'Ant-Man'
- Gay Men's Chorus of L.A. covers Britney Spears' 'Work Bitch'
- Cheryl Burke quits as Miss USA cohost
- Aquaman named 'most toxic superhero' to search for online
- Jeremy Renner on J.Lo jokes, gay rumors, and how 'Avengers' nearly killed him
- Spring King is first band played on Apple Music's Beats 1: 'We had no idea'
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in new EW portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Ricky Martin, Tina & Jane, Paul Rudd and More!