Ethan (Alessandro Nivola), the surly leader of an indie-rock band, learns that he has a 13-year-old daughter, Janie (Abigail Breslin) — and that he has to take care of her right in the middle of his tour of honky-tonk bars. It’s a Hollywood setup, only done in a rambly, micro-budgeted way. And with Ethan and Janie sharing folkie duets, it has a certain small, wan charm, like a father-daughter gloss on Once. Breslin is a clear-eyed delight. (Also available on demand) B-
SECOND CHANCES Alessandro Nivola and Abigal Breslin in Janie Jones (Dean Williams)
Starring: Abigail Breslin, Alessandro Nivola; Runtime (in minutes): 107
Posted November 4 2011 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Office Christmas Party' directors say film is 'life-affirming,' 'really f---ed up'
- 'La La Land': Emma Stone, Ryan Gosling dazzle in dreamy exclusive image
- David Beckham, Emma Stone, and Drake freak out in David Blaine promo
- 'Mean Girls' star on sequel: 'Can we do this already?!'
- 'Supergirl': Chris Wood on whether Mon-El is 'superhero material'
- Bob Dylan finally acknowledges his Nobel Prize
- Why 'Pumpkinhead' is the perfect Halloween movie