James claims that this will be her final studio album due to mounting health problems. But unlike the Alzheimer’s-stricken Glen Campbell, who said the same of his recent Ghost on the Canvas, the 73-year-old R&B legend — a favorite of Adele’s — doesn’t sound grateful for the ride she’s had on The Dreamer; she’s irked over bowing out early. Snarling through covers as far-flung as ”Welcome to the Jungle” and Little Big Town’s ”Boondocks,” James brings some welcome grit to the retirement-album game. B+
YOU ETTA WORK James may be hanging up her microphone, but she goes down swinging... and snarling
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Etta James; Music Label: Verve Forecast
Posted November 9 2011 — 12:00 AM EST
- Reviews are in for 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children'
- Grumpy Cat to join Broadway's 'Cats'
- WATCH: 'Stranger Things' kid Caleb McLaughlin in 'New Edition Story'
- Big bad revealed for 'Arrow'-'Flash'-'Supergirl'-'Legends' crossover
- 'Bajillion Dollar Propertie$' gets wet and wild in season 2 trailer
- Stars recreate Michael Jackson's 'Beat It' for 'Lip Sync Battle'
- Jake Miller and Cardiknox join EW PopFest lineup