James claims that this will be her final studio album due to mounting health problems. But unlike the Alzheimer’s-stricken Glen Campbell, who said the same of his recent Ghost on the Canvas, the 73-year-old R&B legend — a favorite of Adele’s — doesn’t sound grateful for the ride she’s had on The Dreamer; she’s irked over bowing out early. Snarling through covers as far-flung as ”Welcome to the Jungle” and Little Big Town’s ”Boondocks,” James brings some welcome grit to the retirement-album game. B+
YOU ETTA WORK James may be hanging up her microphone, but she goes down swinging... and snarling
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Etta James; Status: In Season; Music Label: Verve Forecast
Posted November 9 2011 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser from 2005 lawsuit comes forward
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt