Now that R.E.M. have split, it’s the end of the world as we know it — but, apparently, not the end of repackaging their work. Fans will already own the hits on the two-disc set Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage (1982-2011), a ”best of” from the I.R.S. and Warner Bros. years. Still, there are three new songs, finished after this year’s Collapse Into Now, and folky highlight ”We All Go Back to Where We Belong” suggests that Athens’ finest had more sweet jangle left in ‘em. Sad. B
RAPID EAR MOVEMENT Fresh off their break-up, the band turns in a best-of live double disc with three new songs that show they had still some hits left
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: R.E.M.; Music Label: Warner Bros.
Posted January 17 2015 — 3:45 PM EST
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': $200+M so far
- Jay Z on Tidal: ‘not perfect,' 'determined’
- 'Grey's Anatomy' fans launch petition to bring McDreamy back
- Patrick Dempsey's EW Q&A on 'Grey's' exit: 'Shonda cares deeply about fans and how they will react'
- John Boyega talks 'Star Wars': 'something symbolic about new generation and old coming together'
- 'Furious 7' wins at box office; No. 5 in all-time global earnings
- 'Goodfellas' reunion: 8 'funny' stories from the cast Q&A