There’s a serious hard-rock record lurking deep in Chris Daughtry’s clean-shaven skull; it’s clear in the jubilant Judas Priest crunch of ”Renegade” and hedonistic strut of ”Outta My Head.” What holds the ex-Idoler back is his weakness for oversmoothness, which turns shout-at-the-sunset anthems like ”Rescue Me” into pillowy group hugs. Still, he wields his Ginsu-sharp melodies like a Benihana chef on Break the Spell, which (almost) lets him get away with being more Bon Jovi than Black Sabbath. B
Break the Spell There's a serious hard-rock record lurking deep in Chris Daughtry's clean-shaven skull; it's clear in the jubilant Judas Priest crunch of ''Renegade''...Break the SpellRock There's a serious hard-rock record lurking deep in Chris Daughtry's clean-shaven skull; it's clear in the jubilant Judas Priest crunch of ''Renegade''...2011-11-17
SMOOTH-SHAVEN ROCK Daughtry has found a niche somewhere between Bon Jovi and Black Sabbath
Genre: Rock; Music Label: RCA
Posted November 17 2011 — 12:00 AM EST
- Azealia Banks to make feature film debut in RZA's 'Coco'
- Taylor Swift saluted with 8-foot Lego portrait at U.K. resort
- Tina Fey, Amy Poehler action figures
- 'Point Break' remake gets its first trailer
- Kris Jenner to trademark 'momager'
- Listen to Juanes go EDM with Cédric Gervais in new song 'Este Amor'
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Bryce & Chris, Karlie Kloss, Tony & Gaga and More!