There’s a serious hard-rock record lurking deep in Chris Daughtry’s clean-shaven skull; it’s clear in the jubilant Judas Priest crunch of ”Renegade” and hedonistic strut of ”Outta My Head.” What holds the ex-Idoler back is his weakness for oversmoothness, which turns shout-at-the-sunset anthems like ”Rescue Me” into pillowy group hugs. Still, he wields his Ginsu-sharp melodies like a Benihana chef on Break the Spell, which (almost) lets him get away with being more Bon Jovi than Black Sabbath. B
Break the Spell There's a serious hard-rock record lurking deep in Chris Daughtry's clean-shaven skull; it's clear in the jubilant Judas Priest crunch of ''Renegade''...Break the SpellRock There's a serious hard-rock record lurking deep in Chris Daughtry's clean-shaven skull; it's clear in the jubilant Judas Priest crunch of ''Renegade''...2011-11-17
SMOOTH-SHAVEN ROCK Daughtry has found a niche somewhere between Bon Jovi and Black Sabbath
Genre: Rock; Music Label: RCA
Posted November 17 2011 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Bill Nye read mean tweets about himself
- 'Days of Our Lives' exclusive: 50th anniversary to feature a killer twist
- Cara Delevingne laughs off that awkward 'Paper Towns' interview on Instagram
- Bruce Springsteen was the surprise guest at U2's latest concert
- What are the critics saying about 'Rogue Nation'?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'Descendants' react: What did you think?
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!