There’s a serious hard-rock record lurking deep in Chris Daughtry’s clean-shaven skull; it’s clear in the jubilant Judas Priest crunch of ”Renegade” and hedonistic strut of ”Outta My Head.” What holds the ex-Idoler back is his weakness for oversmoothness, which turns shout-at-the-sunset anthems like ”Rescue Me” into pillowy group hugs. Still, he wields his Ginsu-sharp melodies like a Benihana chef on Break the Spell, which (almost) lets him get away with being more Bon Jovi than Black Sabbath. B
Break the Spell There's a serious hard-rock record lurking deep in Chris Daughtry's clean-shaven skull; it's clear in the jubilant Judas Priest crunch of ''Renegade''...Break the SpellRock There's a serious hard-rock record lurking deep in Chris Daughtry's clean-shaven skull; it's clear in the jubilant Judas Priest crunch of ''Renegade''...2011-11-17
SMOOTH-SHAVEN ROCK Daughtry has found a niche somewhere between Bon Jovi and Black Sabbath
Genre: Rock; Music Label: RCA
Posted November 17 2011 — 12:00 AM EST
- Rihanna's BBHMM track co-produced by Kanye West
- Are your old Harry Potter books worth anything?
- Watch Blur's first ever performance of 'Go Out' off 'The Magic Whip' -- exclusive
- Jason Jones says goodbye to 'The Daily Show'
- Zayn Malik speaks out about leaving One Direction
- 'Vikings' shocker: Creator Michael Hirst talks the death of [spoiler]
- 'Vikings' kills again: A talk with the departing actor
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- Russell Crowe, Elisabeth Moss, Ben Affleck & More!